• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 CUCV auction

78kcman

This truck is very close to my town and when I asked if it ran he said it did but has a powersteering leak that effects the brakes also. What does he mean by this? If it's not a hard fix this maybe my first CUCV M1009.

Thanks,
Bill

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The diesel engine does not make vacuum, so in a cucv and some other GM diesel trucks, they use a system called a Hydro boost. It supplies hydraulic pressure for the power-steering and the power brake boost.

Last edited:

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m1009 power stering

it is not a hard fix just need to know if it is a hose or the booster that is leaking one cost a litte the other cost a lot more .

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The diesel engine does not make vacuum, so in a cucv and some other GM diesel trucks, they use a system called a Hydro boost. It supplies hydraulic pressure for the power-steering and the power brake boost.
The diesel engine wasn't the primary reason for GM trucks having Hydroboost brakes. Every 30 series GM truck I have ever owned had them and except for my CUCV, all the rest were gas engines. My 1977 K30 had Hydroboost with a 400 sb and that was a year before they put their first diesel in a half ton pickup in1978,(5.7 litre 350 Olds). My 79, 80, and 88 K/V 30's all equipped with Hydroboost brakes. The power steering pump using powersteering fluid provides the power assist for the brakes which contain normal brake fluid. It is a required system for the brakes with the diesel due to lack of vacuum but, they were fitted on the gas engine 30 series trucks first. GM did not offer a diesel for their full line until the 6.2 in 1982.

Last edited: