• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85 M1008 Four wheel drive / transfer case problems

original

I am having problems with my four wheel drive(1985 M1008). Everything worked correctly until today. I can easily shift through the transfer case ranges; however, 4-H will not engage. Four Low works well. Any ideas?

Barrman

Have you confirmed it is a transfer case problem and not a front axle/lock out hub problem? I know you wrote that 4 low works and hi doesn't. How are you testing it?

OL AG '89

Tim send him the test procedures you sent me about a week ago......
haven't got arouind toit yet, but one day hopefully before I need the extra wheels I will!!

OLDCHEV4X4

I had a problem similar to this, It was the range fork shifter pads were wore out.
It would go into 4H but immediately slide out. 4L worked fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like your having some trouble understanding the rules too! :p

Please include your state, in your location(as the rules state)

original

I'm locking in the hubs and shifting the transfer case into 4-High. No engagement occurs. The truck won't move at all. When shifted into 4-Low, proper engagement occurs. (Pineville, West Virginia)

original

The complete lack of engagement, to include the rear axle, in 4-High points to the transfer case. If the locking hubs
were at fault, 4-Low wouldn't work properly. I'm unsure of where range fork shifter pads are located.

Barrman

Ok, just making sure you weren't sitting in the front yard, flooring the pedal and complaining because you couldn't see grass flying from the front tires.

The shift forks are inside the transfer case.

Unlock the front hubs. With the parking brake set, tcase in 2wd and the truck in park. Crawl underneath and twist the front drive shaft. It should spin without any noises or weird sounds from inside the case. Have a helper put it in 4wd hi. Try spinning the shaft. It should not spin at all. From your description, it will probably spin like the truck was still in 2wd.

If that is the case, have your helper slowly move the tcase shifter around front to back real slow while you twist the shaft. Hopefully, just a little forward of 4hi on the marker is where it will lock in. If that is the case, try adjusting the linkage so it locks in when the shifter is in the 4hi slot. Then try all the other positions and make sure they work.

If there is not enough adjustment or it doesn't work properly in the other 3 positions. That means your shift forks inside the tcase are worn beyond spec and need to be replaced. Time to start thinking rebuild or replacement.

Just a wild thought. Check your tcase/transmission mount and make sure it isn't broken. That thing flopping around could mess up the linkage doing its job too.

original

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've tried slightly moving the tcase shifter around, but many awful grinding noises occur. I've got the suspicion that I'll be learning to rebuild a transfer case soon. I also replaced the vaccum modulator on the transmission the day before this happened. Any unlikely chance of a connection? I'm going to go get greasy now. Thanks.

original

I'm satisfied with this solution. After reading the operating manual, I realized that I was trying to shift into 4-H without moving and while in drive. According to the standard procedure, shifting the transfer case into 4-H should be done while moving. I was able to get the truck to shift into 4-H while moving. However, the transfer case can be safely shifted into 4-H while stationary, if the transmisson is in nuetral. There was no problem with the transfer case - just the idiot who didn't read the manual:roll:. I did notice that the transfer case shifter wasn't lining up with the markings so I adjusted the linkage as suggested. Problem solved. Transfer case properly engages in 4 H/L. Thanks for all your help. Henry

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great!

thanks for the aar! after action report

ABN173

Having this exact same problem right now. 2H will not stay in gear, 4L works like a charm. We had it on the pit at Papabear's compound yesterday and thought we had it solved, On the way home it slipped out of 2H at least a dozen times..... any cucv guru's in GA?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks