• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'85 M1009 New owner questions

PeeWeeQ

A few things here....

This thing is great, but, my main issue right now is that my dash/instrument lights don't work. I've checked all of the fuses (I can't read what they are on the block anymore), adjusted what is usually the brightness knob on the headlight switch, and changed all of the bulbs. I should note that its only the fuel and speedo guages that don't light. Am I missing a fuse somewhere? Another block? Anyone have a fuse block diagram? I don't mind taking stuff apart, but, I'd like to know where to start.

If I wanted to lift it a bit, does anyone have suggestions on a good 2"-3" suspension kit? I'm not particular to any one brand, so....

Would installing a K&N Air filter make enough difference in mileage or HP to make it worthwhile?

Any suggestions on center console fabrication or links to a reasonable one on the market?

What's a good way to go about installing a standard Kurt (or something like it) class 5 hitch or is there a way to modify the pintle to accept a standard one?

I saw a rack for the spare tire and fuel cans on this 4Wheel and Off-Road article and was wondering if anyone has any idea or a link to where a guy could get one. I've googled and googled and I can't find one. I suppose it could be custom....

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_1011_1986_chevy_blazer_hd_cucv_active_duty/

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

PeeWeeQ

Barrman

More than likely your problem is the bulb holders. Pull the gauge panel and run power to the tabs where the big plug goes for the lights you don't have working. Then, clean the contacts that are preventing them from working.

I know you are new. If you go to the CUCV section and go to "last" where you can select the pages. You can start reading all of the CUCV threads and will find several dozen threads over the years on each of your questions. Most if not all of them even have pictures. After you spend a week doing that, you will feel like a CUCV expert too.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few things here....

This thing is great, but, my main issue right now is that my dash/instrument lights don't work. I've checked all of the fuses (I can't read what they are on the block anymore), adjusted what is usually the brightness knob on the headlight switch, and changed all of the bulbs. I should note that its only the fuel and speedo guages that don't light. Am I missing a fuse somewhere? Another block? Anyone have a fuse block diagram? I don't mind taking stuff apart, but, I'd like to know where to start.

Sounds like a bad connection or a couple bad bulbs.

If I wanted to lift it a bit, does anyone have suggestions on a good 2"-3" suspension kit? I'm not particular to any one brand, so....

Pick one, a 2 to 3 is usually just adding an extra leaf,

Would installing a K&N Air filter make enough difference in mileage or HP to make it worthwhile?

Define worthwhile, It will be louder anyway.

Any suggestions on center console fabrication or links to a reasonable one on the market?

Junk yard for a civi Blazer one and paint it OD

What's a good way to go about installing a standard Kurt (or something like it) class 5 hitch or is there a way to modify the pintle to accept a standard one?

Buy a class 5 hitch for a K5 and bolt it on

I saw a rack for the spare tire and fuel cans on this 4Wheel and Off-Road article and was wondering if anyone has any idea or a link to where a guy could get one. I've googled and googled and I can't find one. I suppose it could be custom....

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_1011_1986_chevy_blazer_hd_cucv_active_duty/

Keep Searching I guess.........

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

PeeWeeQ
Oh and Welcome to the ODD ( Olive Drab Diesease)

combatmech

I installed a K&N air filter. No real change in fuel mileage, it seemed to have a little more giddy-up.
Ditto on the junk yard. Got my center console for 20 bucks.
The TM's and using the search feature on Steel Soldiers will answer just about any question you might have.
Welcome aboard!! [thumbzup]