• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

850 mile Deuce trip - here's some pics of my new Deuce

dma251

I wanted to post a couple of pics from my trip Sunday to go get my new Deuce. It was the one I got on Ebay on Christmas for $3250 near San Fransisco, CA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=4599331504&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11

The guy I got it from was REALLY knowledgable and a nice guy to do business with. It sure is nice to get one from somebody that cares about them. When I picked the truck up he had changed ALL the fluids for me, AND filled it up with diesel for my trip. He had checked over everything, and the Deuce was 100% operational.

The trip back up to Arlington, WA was very easy. Not much to tell other then at some point in northern Oregon through the night both my windshield wiper blades blew off. I was using rainX anyway, but because of the angle of the flat windows, it was just fine. (If anyone finds then, send me a PM :wink: )

This Duece has PLENTY of power. It will hold you back in the seat pulling up to 60 mph. And at 2500 rpm we were hitting 60 mph on my gps speedo. I accidentally ran it up to 65 without realizing it, and it might have even gone a couple tics faster then that, as I found out that the hardest part about driving it at freeway speeds is keeping the speed DOWN so I don't over-rev it past around 2500-2600. The pump clearly has been dialed up, and it blows just the right amount of black smoke to prove it. I think I will put a pyrometer in just to be safe,but I don't see too many freeway trips again in my future. Where I live most speeds will be around 50 and below.

By the way - it has no cab heater, and now I understand what the seller meant when he said there was no need. We drove through 30 degree weather on the passes going home, and that cab was just right from engine heat. When you feel a bit chilly, I just popped open the service door over the master cylinder, and it pushed nice warm air in from below the truck. I am not going to bother with installing a heater in it. Even up here in Washington.

Attachments

dma251

here's two more.

By the way, in case I didn't mention it.

We drove straight through. 38 hours total to drive down to SF, and back up north of Seattle with the Deuce. We didn't stop except for fuel three times.

I have a new respect for drivers of these things...

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on getting such a fine deuce!
Normally with 900 tires and standard transmission, your speed would be about 55 for an rpm of 2,500.
At 65 mph your rpm would be close to 3,000. That multi must have been screaming! :)
What was your mpg for the trip?

dma251

I tried to figure mileage, but it was tough. I burned real close to 100 gallons of diesel. I traveled 850 miles. That should put me somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-9 mpg.

I tried very hard to hold the tach right at 2500 rpm and not go past that. My gps showed that as 60 mph. I am sure the tach has some amount of error. Even so - I'd say that 850 miles is good evidence that the truck can handle 60 mph. I agree, I wouldn't want to push past that, though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
(If anyone finds then, send me a PM Wink )
rofl

Great pics!!!!! Love to see pictures of them moving, all the pics you always see are stationary.

Very nice looking truck, congratulations.

FSBruva

Welcome to the deuce family - nohting quite like a trial by fire, huh? 38 hours!!! WOW.

In regards to your wiper blade loss - this would be a fine opportunity to replace the arms with the Napa arms and blades. They make a world of difference, even on Rain-X windows.

Keep the pictures coming! Or, set up a gallery!

Matt

mangus580

There are wiper arms that you can buy from NAPA that work alot better. Hopefully when someone actually tells us about them again, they will submit it as a Tech Article.... hint hint ;-)

red devils dude

mangus580 said:
There are wiper arms that you can buy from NAPA that work alot better. Hopefully when someone actually tells us about them again, they will submit it as a Tech Article.... hint hint ;-)
O right I'll do it I got time and the part numbers I'll get right on it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dma251,
CONGRATS on the deuce. Steve was a VERY nice guy to talk to. And you bought a really nice truck.

I came THIS CLOSE to doing a "BUY IT NOW" myself. But while you drove it 850 miles home, my drive would have been more like 1200 miles home. Not that it's not doable, it is, but I FINALLY found one really close to home. About fifty miles or so. Much better than over 1000!

Glad to hear you got home ok. 38 hours straight! WOW! We used to stop around Eureka for the first leg cause there wasn't much north of that until Eugene. I WOULD be very envious, but I should be picking mine up this weekend. YES, I'll post MORE pics, I PROMISE.

dma251, any words of advice? Granted if she breaks I won't be TOO far from home. I'll bring some of my tools and duct tape and baling wire.

WAY TO GO!

I too would like to hear about NAPA arm replacement. Or are the connectors 'standard'?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your purchase. Great deal and nice truck. Welcome to the family of deuce operators. I've done those long trips before. 1150 miles to OH and back, all while piggybacking another deuce behind. Also did a trip a few months ago up to Lake City and back all in one day. That was 680 miles and half with e deuce wrecker piggybacked. You will love this truck. I live for deuce roadtrips!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you noticed that when someone picks up a new to them MV, and someone takes a picture of them either close to or behind the wheel, they can't help smiling. Even if it's NOT your deuce and you're just along for the ride.

You just get this silly grin behind the wheel. It's been said here before and I agreed then as I do now. GOD definately had a 'hand' in the design of this truck!!

My guess is dma251 is the guy wearing the blue jeans, black T-shirt and sunglasses with the HUGE smile standing on the passenger side of his new vehicle.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I allready Miss it! I'm allready thinkin I shoulda kept that truck :(
But Damon is the man for that truck, Just ordered 4 gallons of 34094 to paint my M35A2 as soon as the whather permits. I'll get you all a before and after pic.
Nice to have met you and your Buds! call or write if you need anything.

I do beleive you are right about that Injector pump, that deuce has a lot more power then my 72.

DieselSmoke
How can I turn it up?

Dieselsmoke

Well if ya bring 'er to TP I'll juice it up for ya :D or is it at your brother's place? If it's at your brothers I'm headed over that way in the next few weeks to Bob's place. We're going to finish prepping his deuce for paint.