• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 cucv HELLP !!!

Matt98tj

Ok so this is my first MV. It is a 86 1008 with the 6.2 in it.I got it from this guy who had put a button in for the glow plugs. The starter went out on it and I went to autozone wher they told me it was a 12v starter ;( so after i found out that it's not I took the starter wire of the (24v block?) and put it on the front battery. Worked good then 10 or so days later the truck did'nt want to start when it was cold ? I took the glow plugs out and they looked ok? so I moved the wire for the glow plugs from one battery to the other that the starter wire was on. And ....... yea the starter was on fire ;( I got a 24v starter that i put on it but nothing.I did find a wire that was burnt in too on the bottom (24v block?) fixed it but the starter want work. Is there a fuse that is bad or more bad wires? I dont know what i am doing with thas truck :( O and this is my first time on a thead so not sure how all this works. Thanks

ralbelt

There are several electrical wizards on here (not me) that will be along shortly. In the mean time go to the resources tab on top of the page and find the tech manuals for the cucvs there is an abundance of info there.

ida34

I really don't know where to start on this one. For one you still had 24 volts going to the starter solenoid unless you changed that also. This might have been what caught the starter on fire. I am not sure exactly what you did moving the glow plug wire. Are you saying you attached the glow plug resistor to the front battery? If so it was designed for seeing 24 volts. I suggest you put everything back the way it was and stop just moving wires around. Do not let anyone tell you what your truck has. None of the starter cucv stuff will show up in a parts manual because they are not K5 blazers. If you do not understand the system step away. If you can't explain the system to a mechanic step away. Here is a basic breakdown to start your education.

The whole electrical system is different for a Cucv than a normal chevy. The starter is 24 volt so there is a relay under the dash that sends 24 volt to the starter solenoid when the 12 volt ignition switch is turned on. There is a 24 volt relay to energize the second alt and to run the volt meter. They are all fed by a dedicated 24 volt portion at the fuse block. There is one 24 volt connection at the fuse block so do not assume it is all 12 volt. The negative for the second alternator is positive for the front battery and the rest of the truck. This is why the alts have isolated grounds. One alt charges the front battery while the other charges the back battery. It is important not to use a non isolated ground for the 2nd alt as it will cause sparks. The glow plug system is total 24 volt. The resistor on the firewall drops voltage to the glow plugs and they end up around 12 volts. You can bypass the resister and go to the front battery for the connection but if you left the resistor in place it would drop the voltage down to the plugs even further and they would not heat up enough to start the thing.

I hope this helps.

Matt98tj

Thanks ya'll. I dont think the glow plug wire made the starter go out I think it was that I was holding the starter on for a long time tring to get it to start. So I still need to fix the glow plugs, but the starter is first. Ill let ya'll know when I get it fixed and what was wrong thanks again.

1986Blazerk5

Did fix the glow plug problem, they might need to be replaced, i recommend AC60g's i have had them in my M1009 for 9 mounths now and not one has blown up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks