• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1008 CUCV Arrived today!

joesco

My private party purchase of my first CUCV (M1008) arrived from Rhode Island this afternoon. It is an extremely straight, rust-free (2 minor rust issues), dent-free Air Force (???) truck which replaces my M35A2. The CUCV appears to have been maintained extremely well by it's first civy owner and includes lots of upgrades and maintenance items including 5 new Goodyear Wranglers, new dual stainless steel exhaust, two rebuilt alternators and numerous other items.

I do have few issues to take care before vehicle inspection which include:

1. Find and repair fuel leak on driver side of the rear of the engine
  2. Replace the passenger headlight
  3. Replace the driver's rear directional
  4. Find a new / used / take-out glove box (Sources??)
  5. Install a radio receiver
  6. Install a new power outlet for my GPS and Vsat Radio (cig lighter)

Then I want to do the following:

1. Determine why the truck is shifting hard (vacuum hoses??)
  2. Change all filters and fluids
  3. Prep and paint (color unknown at the moment)

I would imagine the lights are off-the-shelf 12v GM items. It appears the truck is shifting into gear at higher speeds than it should. Reading several posts it seems to be pointing me to the replacement of the vacuum lines. Am I on the right track with this item?
Suggestions for a nice military color, don't like the camo scheme???

Thanks guys!

Attachments

acmunro

I saw that on CL, looked good, now I only know of three left in the state (small state).

Man only three in the state. I have more than that in my driveway and its a small driveway. LOL - Nice truck by the way. Note that the glove box is different for an Air Cond vehicle. It would still work for you, but would have less room. A non AC glove box would not fit in a vehicle with factory air.

Last edited:

joeypushjr1

Suggestions for a nice military color, don't like the camo scheme???

Thanks guys![/quote]

umm why? green is a good color and it dont from the pic look like it need it . i like straight colors as well im not to into the 3 color camo..

ABN173

As far as the radio install goes do a search for "headliner" As much as I want to keep mine stock I think I will have to do this mod myself too.... I don't feel to bad back since in late 80's/ early 90's we used to hook up civy radios in our cucv's very discreetly of course. The mechanics were the worst for unauthorized mods.

Edit: Just found it........http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/36723-head-liner-m1008.html

Last edited:

OL AG '89

Don't like the Camo.......????? WTF???
BEcause you have owned multiple MV's I cannot go any further, but maybe you get ahold of the new "white Diamond" from chevy.....

Maybe a nice nice sublime Navy Grey...... you could paint the underside blue so the ants would still see the sky as you drive over them....

1986Blazerk5

Nice looking truck, What kind of radio do you want a civilian radio or military? If you want a civilian radio i would go to ABC Warehouse and have them install the radio, they will cut the dash for $39 and when you buy the radio from them the install is FREE (except for cutting the dash that is considered major dash work). I also bought the speakers from them.

There is a picture of the Head unit i had installed.

Attachments

Hoolio

I painted my M-1008 , mixed champagne and silver for a real light tan color..Layed back but stands out as different than stock GM color..similar to Desert Storm tan , but metallic looking..