• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1008 Injection Pump Bolts

Macmatrix

I decided to turn the fuel up on my 6.2. When i was taking the top cover off of the injection pump 2 of the three bolts/screws broke off in the pump housing. I do not know what to do at this point. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Chris

Chaski

Broken off flush?

There really isn't a whole lot of good options for a steel screw broken off in an aluminum housing.

Whatever you elect to do be sure to keep the inside of the pump operating room clean.

Pump removal and replacement of the housing by an injection pump shop is an option. Could also buy a rebuilt pump outright.

After sealing up the housing with lint free rags and a bunch of duct tape I would be inclined to slather the broken off screws with a good penetrating oil for a day. Maybe tap the threaded housing bosses lightly on the side with a small hammer. Measure the one fastener you were able to remove. Look up the minor diameter of that screw. Buy a left handed drill bit slightly smaller than the minor diameter. Center punch the broken fasteners, then drill them out with the left hand drill. With any luck that will extract the broken screws. If not you will need to get your hands on a correct size screw extractor and give that a try. If that does not work your last option if the bosses are large enough in diameter to Helicoil them. Purchase a Helicoil kit for the size fastener it uses, then drill, tap, and insert helicoil with tool.

All the stuff you need can be purchased from several sources including McMaster-Carr

cucvrus

I decided to turn the fuel up on my 6.2. When i was taking the top cover off of the injection pump 2 of the three bolts/screws broke off in the pump housing. I do not know what to do at this point. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Chris
Been there. Removed the pump and put it in a drill press. drilled them out. re tapped the holes and reinstalled the pump. 1 month later the pump gave out. Now going forward If the pump comes off I send it out and have it rebuilt. That work of getting the broken screws out took hours. Never again. Send the pump for rebuilding. Tell them you want the pump turned up a bit and call it a day. Good Luck. Happy Holidays. The 6.2 re-buildable injection pump cores are NOT hard to come by.