• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 suburban 6.2L headlight issue

Millner

So the other night driving home my healights, dome lights, horn and dash lights quit working. My flashers still worked cause I used them to get home. so I replaced the headlight switch and it didnt change a thing. While I was working on the switch (I was pulling the dash panel) I had the door open and the dome light and open door buzzer came on so I pulled the headlight knob and the lights came on and then everything went off again. The dome light flickered another time as well but didnt stay on. So there is obviously some sort of short or ground issue. I checked all the fusible links and checked the junction block on the firewall and everything is in good working order. Anyone had this happen to them? What else should I check.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A military suburban?

papakb

There was a time when GM was using circuit breakers instead of fuses in their vehicles and the symptoms you describe of coming on for a minute and then turning off sound like how circuit breakers operate. I'm not a GM guy so I can't guarantee this is your issue. Ask a dealer if the '86 Suburban uses breakers and if they do where are they? They could be in the fuse block. Breakers look like metal cans rather than colored plastic fuses.

If you do have breakers in your truck you could either have a bad breaker or you could have something drawing too much power and the breaker is doing the job it was intended for. The way to check this would be to remove the breaker and put an amp meter in it's place. If the meter shows more current being drawn than the breaker is rated for then start disconnecting things until you find out where the current is going.

Kurt

nyoffroad

I think that the burbs used fuses but not sure, but they both plug into the fuse panel and if it has a bad connection there you will lose your lights. I had the same problem and after unhooking the batteries I cleaned the connections as good as could by scraping them, then pinched them together for a tigter fit and haven't had a problem since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks