• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923 starting issue

bushton4

working on getting a 923 with a 250 cummins to run and stay running. Got it home from Ft Riley last week. Put new batteries in it and primed it, took off drove off the trailer parked it. Fired it up Tuesday morning and pulled it in the shop, fixed a few things aired the tires up thought it was ready to go. Jumped in to pull it out of the shop, truck fired right up ran for about a minute then the engine died. Thought that was odd, hit the starter lever again and nothing, no click nothing. Let it sit for 10 min, hit the starter lever and it would crank but not start. Starter would crank for about 10 seconds and everything would stop. Let it sit for 10 min and the starter would crank but not for more than 10-15 sec and then everything is dead. I switched out the starter switch in the cab with one out of another truck, nothing changes. I have fuel to the pump and the manual kill switch is forward where it should be. I am a little lost on this one, any idea's out there where to start looking?

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello. You might try screwing in the manual fuel screw on top of the fuel pump in the front of the fuel solenoid but if it does start you will have to screw it back out to shut it off. As for the cranking a few then lose everything sounds like a bad connection or a breaker getting hot and breaking.

bushton4

I have screwed on the solenoid turned all the way in as it should be in normal operation.
i agree it sounds like a relay getting tripped because it is hot or a breaker being tripped. I was under the impression that these trucks had no breakers on them, just the box on the firewall behind the window washer jug.

What's a PCB?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the PCB was the bad then you could screw in the thunb screw on the IP for fuel and turn on upper master switch. One click on lower starter switch and use remote starter button on the trip lead and Pos. at the starter.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PCB is the black box on the firewall. Screw in, is over ride. Screw out, is normal operation.
Yea I see wher my post made it look like the thumb screw was on the PCB. I corrected the sentance.
My way is if you are going to drive it on the road. Just run in the thumb screw and jump starter it will run.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Floridianson that wasn't aimed at you but at the OP Bushton4. He is confused about the screws operation and what the protective control box (pcb) is. Your post made sense to me.