• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

927a2 questions

reb87

Ive been watching some of these newer trucks on GL and have questions. I was reading thru the TM for the 927a2 and it seems to say that the 855 cummings is rated 240 hp in the 927a2 and 250 in the 927. Both are listed as turbocharged, why dont they have more hp than the non turbo 855? Are these engines built properly to crank the power up(ie pistons,crank, rods)?

Are these trucks sealed up better than the 809 series? I like my m35 and m818 but its hard to stay dry when it rains while driving them.

Is the auto transmission sound in these trucks?

What is top speed with the super singles?

I am using my other trucks for farming and would like to have one more 5ton or larger to put a 600bushel grain box on to move grain out of the wet fields. I cant find much discussion about these trucks so would appreciate any information.
Thanks, Ross

tmbrwolf

927 basic and the A1 model have the NHC-250 (855) Cummins, The A2 models have the CTA 8.3 Cummins hence the HP differance. They use Allison autos, fairly good tranny. top speed is about 50 - 55

reb87

Is the 855 engine in the 927 and A1 turbocharged? If I read the manual right it said they are turbocharged. If so why is the hp the same as the nat aspirated 855?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of the NHC250s in the M939 and M939A1 were turbocharged. The A2 has the only turbocharged motor in the series...the 6CTA 8.3. The motors are all good...the trannys are stout. Personally, I like the A2s...but, the big problem with the A2s is that some of the parts (some of the air intake, some of the exhaust system, axles, CTIS, etc.) on that truck are A2-specific, which makes them hard to find and expensive when you do find them.

Jones

They may be de-tuned to increase life-span.
The military's had a problem with driver abuse of equipment, as well as training green troops (that's why they went to automatic transmissions-- no need to teach proper clutch and shifting techniques).
Multiple drivers with the "aww, the motor pool will just fix it if it comes back broke" attitude can make for lots of damage and down time; but with one driver who's also chief mechanic and bank-roll, the temptation to show off isn't nearly as big a problem.
Diesels are really good for dramatic increases in power output and torque with little changes like pump timing and injectors, so the potential's there if you want to turn them up.

tmbrwolf

:x Man I can relate to that! As an old Motor Sergeant I can tell you if the truck was abused the young troop didn't want to face me! (or the commander!). Stuff happens BUT, I actually had a troop and the TC pay for an M113 engine that they seized up, when the master warning came on and they both decided "it's only a half mile to the motor pool, it will make it" NOT! aua

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6CTA Cummins in the A2 is rated at 10 less HP, but it makes 100+ lb-ft more torque than the 855. That comes in pretty handy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks