• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

931 hitch problem

Dukeman

Finally hitched up my 5th wheel rv to the 931. Had some problems getting the handle lever to lock in after the jaws had closed around the pin. There is a lever in the mechanism that is controlled by a spring and it should be pushed out of the way when the jaws close in order for the handle to slide in to place. Had to manually move the small lever out of position in order for the plunger to lock in place between the back of the jaws. I think I am either missing a part or something is broken. Looking down on the top plate there are two bolts that go through the plate and in to the mechanism. There is one bolt missing and I think its because a part is broken. If you have a hitch and can take pics or tell me what I need here, let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

Dukeman

Hey, thanks a lot guys! Yeah, Derrick same hitch as you are showing. So it looks like nothing is broken, just hasn't been used in a while. I will grease the heck out of it and see what happens. Basically when you back in and the jaws close around the pin, the plunger should drop right in between the back of the jaws and the lever should close, right?

indy4x4fab

Banned
Hey, thanks a lot guys! Yeah, Derrick same hitch as you are showing. So it looks like nothing is broken, just hasn't been used in a while. I will grease the heck out of it and see what happens. Basically when you back in and the jaws close around the pin, the plunger should drop right in between the back of the jaws and the lever should close, right?
Right, mine was so gummed up from sitting so long with out being used, I had to scrap the old grease out and put fresh grease back in, and now it works great.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure Memphis still sells a rebuild kit for around $200 which includes the small parts/springs.

Csm Davis

Best thing I ever did to one of mine was spray it down with brake cleaner and pressure wash the heck out of it to get all of the old paint, rust, and grease out then relube it. It worked better than a new one I bought once.

Dukeman

yeah, that's what I'm going to do this week. Clean it, pressure wash and re-grease. The hitch on the deuce works so sweet, I hope I can get the one on the 5 ton working like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks