• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A-4 Tension Bar

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can’t remember where I got these. I’ve been trying to identify them but until today, I had no luck. I finally found some numbers on them. They are listed as “tension bar” and part of the A-4 aircraft launch equipment. Never seen one before and I have four of them. They have different “size(?)” numbers.
The two green items have no marks on them. Do know where to search for their info.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to Hendersonj! I know what the blue/yellow items(?) were used for. He confirmed they were used to launch A4’s off of carriers. They were placed in the launch gear and once the jet had the thrust, these old break, allowing the jet to launch. The different numbers were (probably) used as required based on the aircraft’s weight.
Still don’t know what the green ones are for yet.

Chuckg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's called a 'Hold-Back Fitting" and were part of the A-4 Skyhawk carrier launch system. They would hold aircraft back when it went to full-power on the catapult and would break at the mid-point when the catapult was fired and launched the aircraft off the carrier.

I've included a photo of one that's been used. This is the half that was left in the 'Tension Bar' once the aircraft had been launched.

A4 Hold Back Fitting..JPG

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's called a 'Hold-Back Fitting" and were part of the A-4 Skyhawk carrier launch system. They would hold aircraft back when it went to full-power on the catapult and would break at the mid-point when the catapult was fired and launched the aircraft off the carrier.

I've included a photo of one that's been used. This is the half that was left in the 'Tension Bar' once the aircraft had been launched.

View attachment 835065
Thank you for the info. Now if I could only figure out how four of them ended up in Wyoming...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks