• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a couple of pics of my deuce

Jim145

Ok first I was a little leary on posting these because it was a fire truck and well it still looks like one

I was going to paint her up OD but after some thought I cant. You see going back 3 weeks ago I picked her up in Long Island,NY

I drove it home(180 miles +-) durring the drive home I got lost in New York City (my friend that drove me up there swore he knew the way home) anyway driving in the city was quite the thrill I was getting waves and thumbs up from the crowds of people(if you dont know it new yorkers are tough to impress type of people) so there I was driving around I went through Harlem, I passed by the empire state building,central park and various other places trying to get out. the one problem was no trucks allowed in the tunnels finally I had pulled up to the cars only area and waved a NYC cop over and asked can I please drive thru? he replied you have to take the GW bridge NO Trucks in the lincoln tunnel. then he asked were are you heading? I said NJ he looked and then pulled the gate open and waved me thru. I was then approching the tunnel and there were 6 or 8 cops standing there I waved and they waved back(what a relief) the NJ turnpike was in sight and I drove her home problem free. Oh and one more thing I was waved through toll booths too.

so anyway here it is from Long Beach New York my little red deuce

I hope I can figure out the attachment thing the first time around

da_sgt

JimR, Very cool truck :cool: It dose'nt matter what its painted like....Once a deuce...always a deuce [thumbzup] I like that FD theme, like you said , opens doors [^]

Elwenil

Yeah, with all the 911 stuff drawing so much attention and much needed respect to the Fire Depts, I can see leaving it like that. I remember that one off ebay too, lol. Get one of the top companies to make you a vinyl cargo cover in red to match.

painkiller

sounds like you got a good deal with back canvas and winch well congrats on your new truck and have fun with that!

Jim145

Yes it was the one off ebay good eyes....I think I did ok on the price $2550 to tell you the truth I was not looking forward to driving up and back thru NYC (going up at least I did not go thru the city) I would rather travel 500 miles south than go north.
since I've had the truck I changed a couple of steel brake lines, knuckle boots, changed the oil, drained and refilled the rears, drained and refilled the winch, transmission and a few other little odds and ends. the oils that came out looked as clean as the GL1 going in and the motor oil was not so bad either but its done anyway. she does run solid and I do like the funny turbo wine especialy going thru the tunnels [^]

I just want to say to the deuce club Thank You for the warm welcome.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FDs are the second calling of the deuces. I guess us collectors are the final destination.

rdixiemiller

An awful lot of deuces ended up with fire departments in rural areas. The off road ability, plus the ease of dropping in a water tank were great draws. The fact they were free didn't hurt. In Fla., we had quite a few old deuces (ours was an M-34!) and a few power wagons as well. here in W Ga. they turned in the last of their deuces a few years ago. Collectors are the next home, the ones that didn't get scrapped.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear someone bought that deuce. I was the second bidder on a earlier auction, the top bidder never showed. It was too far for me to go get, and too much time. Found one locally. Sounds like it is in good hands, have fun!

Last edited:

Desert Rat

JR,
Nice snag! Good to see it's going to a good owner! I'd definitely keep that one red for sure considering how close you are to Ground Zero. It would make a nice parade truck for any honorariums in NYC I think.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim i bought mine from my fire dept. The red paint on yours brings back memories. We abused mine for a brush truck for years. You've got a great looking truck!

Loose Deuce

Nice looking Deuce, You was brave going through the city, I would have been terrified in NY on my first drive home. I haven't driven a Deuce in 30 years when I got mine, and I got my buddy to drive it through the heavy part of town before I took over, He drives military vehicles all the time. He's an Maintance Instructure in the Guard and we were in town where I bought it. I could have done it but I wanted to get the feel of her before diving in.

Jim145

Well I had about 30 miles or so to pracctice before inadvertantly getting dumped into the city, I tell you ,I could write a book for all that went on just in the city portion of the trip alone. I have seen double parked cars before but on some of the streets they park 3 to 4 wide (blocking the whole street) Nothing really suprises me any more, but it was a thrill I wished at the time the guys from work where sitting on the troop seats because half of them did not belive me even about getting a deuce let alone getting lost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks