• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A couple of questions for those who have done an engine swap

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been reading several posts, old and new, on the subject of engine swaps for our Deuces. I'm curious about long-term effects of increased horsepower and torque on the original drivetrain. How are your trucks holding up? Are the original brakes adequate to stop one of these at higher speeds?
I'm happy with my multi, and I plan to keep mine as original as possible. But I would like to hear your experiences.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've been reading several posts, old and new, on the subject of engine swaps for our Deuces. I'm curious about long-term effects of increased horsepower and torque on the original drivetrain. How are your trucks holding up? Are the original brakes adequate to stop one of these at higher speeds?
I'm happy with my multi, and I plan to keep mine as original as possible. But I would like to hear your experiences.
So I only worked there at a place called RH Bouligny (a steel high-line contractor) for about 4 years. It was my first job straight out of the military.

Almost everything there was some sort of Military Truck or Tracked vehicle. Reo, International, GMC, and Dodge. There were Deuces and 5-Tons in the REO line and 2 1/2 ton Internationals and GMC's. The dodges were M37's and there were Ambulances in that flavor too.

So, to get to the story about engine swaps: The Reo with the 330 Reo Engine (Golden Comet I think) was getting hard to find parts for. Might have been more costly was the real problem... ANYWAY, a 300 Industrial Ford was a very easy drop in fit for the Reo. We installed just under a hundred of those in the Reo Deuce. That 300 engines "legs" weren't as strong as the 330, but they got the job done. In the woods, in the swamps, and in the sand in Florida and in the Kentucky mountains.

The Internationals and GMC's weren't a problem. We had tons (literally) of spare parts for those trucks - and an entire building full of the Dodge flatheads...

ToddJK

I think the brakes will be fine, but I'd definitely invest in a dual circuit brake system either way for the safety factor. Otherwise, from some threads I've read, some of those guys also switched the transmission to get the higher gears, speed and fuel economy.
Would the stock drive line handle a more powerful motor? I'm sure it will just fine, if anything, it will still be slow(er) but a butt load of torque behind the wheels.

rustystud

The drivetrain should not be a problem unless your going for 800HP or more. The "U"-joints are more then capable of handling well over 800 ft Ibs of torque. Just keep them tight and lubed. The Rockwells also can handle a lot of torque and power. The transfer case is just a beast of a thing. Weighs a ton and the gears are massively over built. Same for the Rockwells (differentials) too. Just don't "shock" them. You know, rev up the engine and drop the clutch sort of thing. Or down shift fast and hard. All that puts shock to the system which is not good for any rigg.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knowingly, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link.........:wink:

The Rockwells also can handle a lot of torque and power.
... but their stock axle shafts, not so much...
The transfer case is just a beast of a thing. Weighs a ton and the gears are massively over built.
... not so the Ø 1⅝" output shaft, which tends to snap right where the splines start.
Just don't "shock" them. You know, rev up the engine and drop the clutch sort of thing. Or down shift fast and hard. All that puts shock to the system which is not good for any rigg.
Sound advice. But people with a limited brain (and deep pockets) usually are poor listeners...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

... not so the Ø 1⅝" output shaft, which tends to snap right where the splines start.
Sound advice. But people with a limited brain (and deep pockets) usually are poor listeners...
I think this limited brain (and deep pockets) has more impact on broken parts than anything that ever just "gives up". More often than not stupidity is the simple one word description that fits the bill... Watching MV's in a mud bog always comes to mind for me. Only question I ever have is why.

INFChief

Unless you plan to use this for things way above its pay grade, the drivetrain should be fine.

Have you found a direct bolt up engine or will you need an adapter plate? Are there any special considerations for air compressor, pwr strng, generator/alternator, engine mounts, trans adapter, firewall mods, radiator inlet & outlet hose locations, exhaust and so on?

ToddJK

I think this limited brain (and deep pockets) has more impact on broken parts than anything that ever just "gives up". More often than not stupidity is the simple one word description that fits the bill... Watching MV's in a mud bog always comes to mind for me. Only question I ever have is why.
I'd agree. Stupidity is probably the #1 reason. However, there comes a time when you just gotta have fun, even if that means hitting the mud. Doing it within reason, but not treating it like a customized mud bigger and rocking it back and forth with the pedal to the floor.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, guys that puts things into perspective. As I said, I'm in no hurry to replace my multi as long as it's running strong (or is rebuildable). If that day comes I want to make an informed decision. From what I gather, an increase in power even a substantial increase should work fine as long as I use restraint. My truck won't be doing anything too strenuous as for me owning it is more about respecting its history and what it represents. And for fun with the kids. Good to know that the Deuce drivetrain can handle more than what the multifuel can dish out. I'm past the point where I'm in a hurry to get somewhere anyway.
Cheers!

rustystud

The Rockwell axles work great as long as you use the original tires and not those monster truck tires like the 395's everyone loves to put on their truck. The only axles I ever saw break had huge tires on them or they were out 4X4ing in a mud bog.
As far as the output shaft on the transfer case goes, they usually break when they are allowed to come loose. If the Yoke nut is kept tight, they last a long time. Due to the vibration the drivelines experience since the rear axles are locked together (no compensator between differentials) . The yokes on the transfer case and transmission and differentials can and often due come loose. This of course allows the bearings to loosen and the shafts to wobble which then leads to breakage of parts.
I always check the yokes and driveline bolts before every trip. Recently I found my forward rear axle yoke was loose. Just part of the regular maintenance needed on a Deuce.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the original brakes adequate to stop one of these at higher speeds?
I'm just finishing my swap and I won't be changing to increase the speed. Having more power to go uphill or off road in low gear, reliability of an engine known worldwide, and engine longevity were reasons enough for me to swap. I'm hoping to have better fuel mileage but I'll have to run some tests first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks