• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a little help from the experts

jhershner@yahoo.com

So I bought my firs m1008 truck the other day, and I am looking to do some research on potential problems with these trucks. I really like the rig, however, I don't think it's going to be a good daily driver due to the extremely low top speed. Does anybody know if it is a good idea to drive these rigs for long distances? On the highway, it sounds like the diesel is screaming! What can I do to get better highway performance? Will a th700r4 transmission bot up to the stock gear? What damage will come from driving these rigs on the highway? Any questions or feedback will help, as I am new to these rigs..

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In terms of highway speeds, the M1008s like 50 MPH the best, but they will do 55 MPH with no problem and even 60 MPH, although I personally would not drive my truck at that speed for hours at a time. I've even had mine up to 65 MPH for a hundred yards or so in order to merge into traffic, but that really is too fast for them in my opinion. You have a few choices (and maybe more that others will identify:

1) Install larger tires (you will lose some torque, but gain top end speed)
2) Change the gears
3) Install an overdrive transmission kit (expensive)
4) Buy a civilian truck

I know of guys who have driven these trucks hundreds of miles on a single trip so they are roadworthy. Heck, a few weekends back, I put about 350 miles on my M1028A2.

Potential damage: thrown rod, blown head gasket, general engine wear (shorten lifespan).

Good luck!

Last edited: