• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A little help please in operation the water-foam system in my truck

scootertrs

I have no clue regarding the proper operation of my fire truck. I can read the basics and can get the pto to engage but all i get is killing the motor by bogging it deown, the pump does not feel like t is spinning. I do not know if I have to release something or if my pump is damaged and needs servicing. Is there a manual for the proper operation on this truck or is there another member that would be willing to chat with me about the steps involved? Thanks

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The data plate should show the applicable TMs for maintenance and operation. Do a search on Google, or logsa.army.mil, and/or tpub.com

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best thing to do is find a firefighter who is a pump operator.. You can easily destroy the pump if you dont know what your doing... Make sure your in the right "setting" for the PTO. Does the driveshaft to the pump turn? You have water in the tank, and the tank to pump lever works, correct? Pumps need water for cooling, lube, and so they dont sieze.... Pumps pumping without water end badly...

Get the TM and read it....

Open all the intakes and discharges.. Do you feel/hear any noises when the pump is engaged?

If you have water in the tank, pull your tank to pump valve, that should get water flowing

Last edited:
And if you use the foam make sure you flush it out of the pump and pipes when your done, AFFF foam is corrosive. If you plan to use the foam to fight fires might wanna make sure your foam proportioning valve is working correctly by buying or borrowing a foam refractometer.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this stage, I think he has a while to go before he starts messing with foam....

Can you post some pics of the pump panel, that way we can help you with what lever to operate....

scootertrs

Thank you all. I will be posting a full pic asap. showing the control panel. I intend to use the foam system. I already use foam in my large water/foam fire extinguishers... but you are right ... gotta crawl before I can walk.

Heres how most older fire trucks work, those without pump and roll.
1 Set parking brake, place truck in neutral.
2 engage pto (fire trucks usually have a switch that goes from drive mode to pump mode, switch it into pump.
3 put truck into gear to drive pump, usually whatever gear is the 1:1 ratio.
4 hop out of the truck and open the tank to pump valve, and crack the recirculation or tank fill valve, this will keep water circulating through the pump so the pump doesnt over heat while your waiting to start pumping.

5 pull or connect hose and slowly open the appropriate valve till the line is filled then open fully, Throttle up to the desired PSI watching your guages.
6 once you start flowing watch your guage, keep one hand on the throttle to make adjustments, AND NEVER CLOSE ANY VALVES SUDDENLY, that will cause water hammer and damage the pump,valves,etc. Always close and open valves slowly.

Also watch your water level gauge, never run the truck completely empty, damage WILL occur.

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you really need to do is consult the TM that was written for THAT truck.. The deuce's PTO can be live all the time, regardless of what gear the tranny is in, so there may not be a need to put it on a forward gear for this case....

I think the pump clutch lever may have something to do with why yours doesnt work..
It's detailed in here..

https://www.logsa.army.mil/etmpdf/files/000000/005830.pdf

No matter what, READ THE TM.....
Here is a source for the TM's.. $ well spent if you cant find it online for free here https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewsearchresults

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330310462480&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D330310462480%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks