• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A M37 that could go BOOM!!!!!

Chevytruck

Wow that looks better than factory!

Please mind me for my ignorance, but is the red front what it looked like then for that vehicle hauling that type of "Items"?

vtdeucedriver

Wow that looks better than factory!

Please mind me for my ignorance, but is the red front what it looked like then for that vehicle hauling that type of "Items"?

Yes both the front and rear fenders are painted red. Dad was EOD in the USAF and his trucks had red fenders. I dont know if it was official per a military manual but they did it so thats what were doing. The truck is marked as it would have been in 1951 at Kimpo Air Base in Korea.

vtdeucedriver

We have lots of equipment to be carried. EOD equipment, for diffuzing bombs, Rope block & tackle with Gin Pole pipes that screw together to lift ordinance out of the crater. 3 prong grapling hook and rope to drag ordinance away from a burning aircraft. It will also have 2 radios in the back. We have a gas fired artic heater for the left fender and a LOUD Siren for the right!!!:)

glcaines

That looks like an extremely good restoration project. You should be proud of your work. Keep the pictures coming as you progress with the M37.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall a "FUBAR" article from years back in one of the mags I subcribed to. Told of an episode during the Vietnam War in which a GI stationed near the beach saw something washed up with the tide. Turned out to be an anti-ship mine of some sort, left years back by the Japanese during WWII. He wanted to play hero, and tried disarming it himself. After the blast took place and the authorities arrived, some pics were taken of the 30-foot wide crater the mine left, and all that was left of the GI was 1 boot which was found near ground zero, with the foot still in it. Everything else was gone.

His M37 was parked not far behind the crater, it looked like someone took a giant shotgun to the thing, there wasn't much left of it, at least that's what the pic showed.

Just seeing the explosives M37 made me think of that. Dedicate your M37 to that poor GI, find a single black leather boot somewhere and mount it on the running board. :)

vtdeucedriver

Mike, we have a 500 lb practice bomb that we are going to display with the truck. Its going to stick out of the dirt.............as a joke I told my dad that we need to put a egg timer inside it with a manaquin diffuzing it and another manaquin behind the truck with his fingers in his ears!!!!

Being that its 4th of july weekend, reminds me of my dads comment 2 yrs ago when I asked him if he wanted to go watch the fireworks with us...........he replied........."naw, after being in EOD, anything under 1000 lbs just isnt exciting!!"

The truck will be dedicated to all who served in EOD. We started the dedication to 6 EOD'ers who were killed on the flightline in Bien Hoa Airbase in 1965
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teHsjwXTrcU

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

That looks like an extremely good restoration project. You should be proud of your work. Keep the pictures coming as you progress with the M37.

I am pretty proud on how she is turning out. Its sad that she keeps going on the back burner for three 5 tons and three deuces and two M151's and my love for the history of transportation units that served in the Vietnam war.

Were getting there tho!

STSCSS

Thanks for the pics on the paint. The previous owner of mine OD greed everything in the engine compartment.

Got some cleaning up to do

vtdeucedriver

Painted all the pieces to the bed today. Dad painted the wheels last week so I fired her up and took some pics. She had a miss and smoked a bit this time. Found some fowled plugs so after 6 new ones, she was back to running her normal self...............what a sweetie.

Attachments

M-37Bruce

Hey vtdeucedriver,
Quick ?, I'm guessing that you have just assembled your bed, mine has been off for a while, (two years, un-assembled) does the bed floor go first, then the rear up-right, then the sides? I just can't seem to remember?? BTW, Your rig looks great!
TIA,
:grd:

xm708

looks good

Jeff

Are those my cross members under that clean painted bed ???

PS: now that your bed is on I may have a good one this Thursday. Your bed looks great.. will she be on the road by the fall. :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks