• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Newbie's First CUCV

Zimnij Volk

Well, this is my first time on this forum, I guess that makes me a newbie. This place is definitely looking to be what I've been looking for all this time. I figure I should get to it though...

I'm hoping to get either an M1008 or M1028. I'm a sucker for the old Chevy look and love military vehicles, so you can imagine how thrilled I was when I found out they were also build up a bit more than the normal civi trucks. All the better for me I think. The biggest thing for me is that I would like it to be my daily driver, so if you guys would, (I know you must hear the same thing over and over) I have some questions...

First off, the 6.2. I hear mixed things on it, most of the time they're extremes. I hear it's very reliable from some, and from other's it's a piece of crap. If there are ways, can I make it more reliable? What kind of maintenance are we talking about?

I also heard about a way to get these pickups to be faster by the use of a bigger tire, but I really don't want to sacrifice the mileage if I can, it's one of the things I found alluring about the 6.2. What kind of tires do you guys put on?

Are there any certain years I should be on the lookout for, or avoid?

Anything else I should know? Past experiences, etc? I appreciate all input, this is my first one after all.

Thanks to all!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the CUCV FAQ Article (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information. Download the manuals for reference. Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Also checkout the FAQ Thread for CUCV's stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Now to your questions.

The 6.2 is a workhorse engine that was NOT designed to be a speeddemon. It does not make a lot of horsepower but has plently of torque.

The M1008 series trucks are geared low so your max speed will be in the 50-60mph range. If you go much higher that that you will rev the engine too high and it will crater at some point.

The CUCVs where produce from 1983 to 1986 so any of them will be good. Just like any 25+ year old vehicle, each one will have its own issues and will breakdown at some point. If you don't like working on your vehicle then go buy a new car with a warranty.

Warthog

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: The 1008 or 1028 are not race trucks but make good daily drivers have had a couple and have a 1028 daily driver now my pic <-- it has 31 / 32 inch tall tires about stock and I get about 18.3 miles per gallon I dont drive over 55 and put on about 150/200 miles per week maybe more running parts ,I haul wood , tow boat ,haul my mud truck ETC. they have no fancy power windows,air or anything but are great trucks If you get one from the gov. expect to work on it to get running and driving then about 2 maybe 3 mouths of working bugs out to make great daily driver but not as bad as it sounds. I have a freind that has an overdrive trans he put in his 85 and has 302680 miles on it as of 10-17-2010 so they do last with proper maint. Good luck and welcome to the site!! :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks