• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A simple question...

k72516

Okay, I feel a bit dumb asking this question... but I'm not a diesel mechanic or much of a mechanic at all...but my friend is. (hehehe free labor! lol) I have two questions here. And these are the only two things that really keep me from running out and buying a deuce. (besides my dad murdering me lol)

I don't get why the engines go by hours. I know boats go by hours, and after a certain amount you have to rebuild, but why would you do that with a deuce? It's just a regular diesel engine and from what I gather if you maintain them properly they go well past 200K miles. What's the deal with that?

And second is, if tires are about $2,500.00 for those NDTs, and they stink at handling, why doesn't anyone just go out and buy new wheels and tires? There are plenty of radial/industrial/agricultural wheels and tires that I'm sure you could make fit somehow.

Am I just going in a completely wrong direction here? It seems too obvious to me...which prolly means it won't work, but what the heck why not ask.

red devils dude

ok let's start with hours, hours are a better way to keep up with engine wear there are many reasons for this.
next NDT tires are fine for all most any thing, you said $2,500.00 for them Y?
and last never be afraid to ask a question.

Jim145

This is just a guess, but I would imagine that this would be the same thing:
I work with heavy equipment(dozers,loaders...) most of which does not have a speedometer or odmeter, they do however have the trusty old hour meter. If the engine is running the oil life is going down, idle or going full steam maintenece is usually conducted at 250 hrs. So with this info the hour meter is the best way to do your oil changes and stuff it is more reliable imo.

M1075

Josh- NDTs are cheap. You can get a set of 10 for $250, not $2500! Military surplus radials are inexpensive as well. Sometimes the challenge is getting the right wheel.

k72516

Hmm, I could've swore that I saw a ton of posts saying that it was 2500 bucks for a set of just 8 NDTs...

And one other thing... Are the 135's and 211's completely different since they're gas? Or does the same idea of hours still apply?

rdixiemiller

Many military vehicles spend long hours idling. The hour meter is a good way to keep track of things.
I buy military NDT 9.00x20's for $20-25 each. The old M135's and M211's were gas burners with automatic transmissions. There are a couple on E-Bay every week or 2, don't seem to bring nearly as much as an M35 series truck.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, I have had many very helpful responses from members over the last several months. The information I got from the list helped me select my deuce, and I appreciate all the info I got from the guys here.
I would look for a good M35A2. The multifuel engine is fun, and the driveline is robust. The M135 and M211 used an automatic transmission that has a reputation for being cranky. There are some list members that have the trucks and have good luck with them. You might look on the "Early Deuce" section of the forum and get some insight.
Your dad shouldn't kill you, a deuce is MUCH cheaper than a new Mustang or Camaro. safer for you too, you can only get a speeding ticket in a 45 zone. They are not cheap on fuel, around 10-11 mpg.
Talk to Joe Young (mvtrucker). He has a sterling reputation in the MV field for delivering top notch trucks. His aren't the cheapest, but you can rest assured that it is in tip top shape.
Invest in a set of manuals. send me your snail mail address and I will get you a CD with all the common M35 manuals on the way.

Desert Rat

K,
There are many different things you can do with a Deuce. The only way you will spend $2500 on tires is to buy new tires from a semi truck tire dealer. Be patient in our search for replacement tires. Here in Houston good 75% NOS tires without any dry rot are about $20 - $25 each. If you are creative with a tire hammer you can $ave big bucks on changing tires too. An added benefit is you also get a healthy workout too.

Everyone has got the hours question right - maintain the machinery, nothing else.

As an elementary school teacher I can honestly say the only question that's dumb is the one not asked (dumb is defined as the inability to speak). I love puns! Good work and keep up the questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks