• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A/W crane hose replacement

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had plan A for replacing the down boom hose on the M108. Ended up with plan B

Plan A was to cut the old, hard to find, fitting from the steel line. Install a new compression fitting with a swivel end on it, then use a standard hydraulic hose. Then I found out the steel line was 1 1/8 O.D. and the fitting was 1 inch O.D.

Give a hillbilly a welder and watch the fun! Plan B, I welded the compression fitting to the steel line. Amazingly, it doesn't leak.

I will look and see if Parker makes a fitting for 1 1/8 steel line. If so, it would be pretty easy to change the hard to find fittings.

Someone made up adapters for the rest of the old fittings. Not sure if they are homemade, or were available at one time. The adapters have been on there for a long time.

Some part#'s.. the hose fittings are Weatherhead brand, the compression fitting was a Parker brand. Don't have a part # for the parker fitting.

1 inch hose to 1 inch pipe 16u-116
1 inch hose to 45 degree swivel 16u-696
1 inch hose to straight swivel 16u-692(this number was from memory, may be wrong)

Attachments

acetomatoco

Those Austin Western guy really made it a lot of work..with their special fittings.. Thankfully the later trucks were more standard.. whatever that means..I guess..easier to get hose ends...etc. Good job getting yourself out of the jam.