• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A warning to those doing the A/C conversion

Reworked LMTV

For bolts that hold the pulleys and damper on, only use a very light torque. Maybe 20ish ft lbs. I'm actually still looking for the exact figure. I had to Helicoil them. Also avoid JB Weld blue thread locker. It never seems to cure. Otherwise, JB Weld I found is generally awesome stuff.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread locking adhesives are anaerobic curing (cure in the absence of air), and require metals with a certain level of free ions to activate. If you're using stainless screws (and some other types), the same properties that keep it from having enough free ions to rust also keep it from having enough to activate the Loctite. Loctite makes a special primer that helps in these situations: https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/adhesives/loctite_sf_7649.html

Reworked LMTV

Thread locking adhesives are anaerobic curing (cure in the absence of air), and require metals with a certain level of free ions to activate. If you're using stainless screws (and some other types), the same properties that keep it from having enough free ions to rust also keep it from having enough to activate the Loctite. Loctite makes a special primer that helps in these situations: https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/adhesives/loctite_sf_7649.html
Yes, did some research on thread locker. I saw that. I wonder about residual oils, etc. I am purchasing some oil stable blue this time.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
proper torque for those bolts is 55 ft lbs. when you look up a 12.9-10mm bolt the torque may be given in Nm (75) converts to 55 ft lbs. I had no issues at all.

Reworked LMTV

proper torque for those bolts is 55 ft lbs. when you look up a 12.9-10mm bolt the torque may be given in Nm (75) converts to 55 ft lbs. I had no issues at all.
Interesting. That's what I thought it was, based on what I saw online. Torqued to 47 and they ALL gave out. Possibly over-torqued before by someone I bet. Helicoil saved the day.

Reworked LMTV

After investigating the thread damage, I realized what happened. The stock bolts appear to be 85 mm. The bolt spec for the addition of the OEM A/C pulley is 90mm. Short bolt pulled the threads.

In hindsight, JB Weld blue locker is probably fine, but I did switch back to loctite. The more viscous loctite I like better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks