• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A1 Exhaust Reroute

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone RE-routed their exhaust upwards? After reinstalling my cooler lines I went down a rabbit hole on this existing exhaust pipe routing. I assume SS put it down there bc of the spare tire location? Trouble is, the parade watchers get a face full of exhaust as I drive at 1 mph. Might be nice to route it up and have a vertical stack, shorter line and freer flow.

I notice there may be room to route a 4" pipe below the cab cradle and starboard of the intake pipe. I'd have to have the turbo flange modified but that seems doable. I was thinking of moving the spare tire cradle down to the area where there's typically a winch on some trucks. Then the spare could just flare out horizontally with the cradle and then lower with one of those cable cranks? Just brain storming right now.

not sure if Id reuse the existing muffler. Also, does anyone know if the exhaust diameter MUST increase right after the turbo as it does with the existing 90 flange downward? I'd be changing it to go up at a 30 degree angle thru this opening in the pic below, then flanging into a muffler or pipe going left then another 90 going up. No muffler? I like free flow!

Also, why is there an exhaust gas return into the intake? Is that needed?

17E811B2-7C95-4878-B070-9B94153FE8F3.jpeg46ECDF74-42C5-4AB2-B6C9-9082EC77149E.jpeg

Ronmar

Its not an exhaust gas return. Note how the tailpipe is crimped in where that tap is located? The tap goes into the pipe and turns down stream into the crimped area. Thats a Venturi and creates a vacuum on that line. It is connected into the middle of the particle separator module above the air filter, and when the vortice generators spin off the particulates in the airflow that vacuum sucks them out and spits them out the tailpipe.

have thought about adding a noisemaker on that port so the truck howls like a turbine when I get on the throttle:)

The only re-route I recall seeing, they removed the muffler and straight piped it right out the back over the rear axle.

i am thinking I am going to go that same route straight out the back. Have not decided if I will keep the muffler or not. it would allow me to transition the pipe up or down fairly easy by simply relocating the side outlet port to the rear of the can At whatever height I want though…

I am going to put my ex brake butterfly down there at the union into the muffler so I will have to remount it A few inches to the rear if I do keep it.

That diameter increase right at the turbo outlet helps drop the pressure there to enhance flow. I would not reduce it there…

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That diameter increase right at the turbo outlet helps drop the pressure there to enhance flow. I would not reduce it there…
Ok that makes sense. I'll maintain that larger diameter then. I thought that might be more than just a dimensional conversion.

Thats a Venturi and creates a vacuum on that line.
Id not have thought of that. Like a vortex separator on an old dozer? I should be able to relocate that.

Ronmar

Id not have thought of that. Like a vortex separator on an old dozer? I should be able to relocate that.
If its what I am thinking of, a single director that pulls air in around the peripheral of the air filter housing and a place for dust to fall out to a catch point at the end is a common item on tractors. The one on the LMTV is a little different. It has a series of smaller high velocity vortex generators, probably more than 30, with a small swirl vane assembly(fixed stator blades) to induce a rapid spiral to throw out the particles. If you pull off the snorkel you will see all the holes. I had a pic somewhere, and can’t find it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks