• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 vs A3, Newbie Questions

Iggy913

I'm 100% sure this has had to have come up previously and I apologize for the repost. I'm looking to purchase an M35 in the next few months. I'm torn between the A3 and A2 model. I'm a pretty competent mechanic so part of me is thinking "keep it simple stupid" and get an A2. Part of me also likes the idea of the automatic and Caterpillar motor in the A3. Could some of you go through your experiences with either model and the pluses and minuses of each? Some of my obvious concerns on the trucks are: 1. Reliability of both powerplants, the multifuel and Caterpillar, same with the transmissions? 2. Are there ways to increase the power output of either the multifuel or Caterpillar motor, is it something worth doing? 4. If I came across a serious engine issue are there parts available for the multifuel engine? What about just maintenance parts like filters and belts? 5. What are you guys seeing break on these trucks in "civilian use"? 6. Fuel mileage, obviously its not a huge concern with something this big, but what are you realistically seeing? 10mpg hwy? Is it worth the cost to get the freewheeling hubs for the front axle?

Lots of information in the above thread, as well as many other threads. I went with A3 because of the deal I got on it. The A3 has a CTIS system that often is the source of wheel leaks. It can be fixed or disconnected. Also, wheel bearings are really expensive if needed due to the CTIS. You can convert the wheel hubs/bearings to the cheaper A2 if necessary and ditch the CTIS. Also, if the Allison transmission goes, that will set you back. I had mine completely serviced and it's still going strong. Brakes are maybe a tad better on the A3 due to the dual air packs and the steering is air assist. The driver's seat is also an air ride seat. Although, those features can be added to an A2 as well.