• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abnormal tire wear when hubs are locked

m1garand_man

So I had my hubs locked while driving my truck in 2H for about 1000 miles while driving from montana to seattle and back over the last week and when I got home I noticed the outermost tread of either tire is now worn unevenly compaired to the innermost tread. What is the reason for this? I didnt expect there to be an issue. Also my transfer case developed a small leak. I know that driving this was is harder on the drive train but you never know you are going to need 4x4 untill you do and its easier to leave it locked than to constantly have to get in and out.

My main concern is the root cause of the tire wear.

KsM715

Is it easier to just get out and lock them in when you need to, or is it easier to replace or pay to have replaced broken and burned out drivetrain parts? When going trail riding yes, lock-in the hubs, Going 1000 miles down the hiway?

As for the tire wear, look for the usual worn front end parts. Ball joints, toe in/out, ect.....Just having the hubs locked in shouldnt cause your tires to wear funny.

If I were a betting man I'd bet your t-case leak developed from spinning the front driveshaft needlessly

niferous

Don't leave your hubs locked it's jut that simple. If it's that important to you it's possible to replace the maunal locking hubs with auto locking hubs.

ODdave

:ditto:

:sad: I feel bad for those poor little needle bearings on the stub shafts.......They can only hold about a t-spoon of grease and a 1000mi at hwy speeds. Hope there ok......

Alredneck

Banned
I would pull the hubs and regrease everything after checking the bearings.

If you have a locker in the front and the hubs engaged it will pull and steer different than when unlocked.

Auto hubs have been notorious for not locking when you need them, eeecck! Stick with the manuals, you wont have to back up to unlock them, just twist the dial!:beer:

m1garand_man

well to address a few things

I replaced the ball joints with MOOG ones that have ZERK fitings about 10 mos ago because the origional spicers were shot

I also alinged my front end and havent experienced any abnormal tire wear untill now. In addition after I alinged the wheels and adjusted my steering tie rod I have not expereinced any pulling.

Also when I did the ball joints I relubed those needle bearings in the spindle. I will redo them when I relube my front axel bearings in about two months.

I also agree that the front propeller shaft output was leaking because the shaft was needlessly spinning. if it gets worse or dosnt go away I'll replace the seal some time this spring when its gets above freezing out side.

The reason for me leaving them locked was because of the snow storms I was having to drive through both ways. I did have to cross four passes each way to get where I was going. (Rogers pass, Look out pass, 4th of july pass, Snoqualmie pass) and over most of snoqualmie pass during the trip out I had the truck in 4H. I also had it in 4H for about 20 miles of Montana 200 near Great Falls.

In any case. I'm satisfied with the performance of the truck during this trip and the tires are close to needing to be replaced anyway. However I do realize that with any 25 year old vehicle that once you do something like this you will need to perform some lubrication maintenace.

Is there anything ellse I might want to check when I do pull the hubs off again?

Oh one good thing. The axels didnt leak. I'm glad for that too because those inner axle shaft seals are way in there and if Im not mistaken you more or less have to take the diff apart to get the old ones out and the new ones in.