• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accidental boost with NHC250?

Micmada

As I was told to “stop it”, I am going to stick to regular diesel, but has anyone got experience with boosting compression ration mixing in non combustible synthetic turbine oil? It gave quite a hill climb ability to the old NHC250 although it almost hydrolocked it at 3 quarts of turbine oil per 10 gals fuel for a 14 liter engine. Coolant leaked a bit from the water pump too.

Crf450x

Admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about turbine oil. You’re saying it won’t burn? I’m gonna say it’s EXTREMELY unlikely, even if it separates itself from the fuel and doesn’t burn, that it would raise compression any appreciable amount and borderline impossible for that to cause a hydro lock.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As I was told to “stop it”, I am going to stick to regular diesel, but has anyone got experience with boosting compression ration mixing in non combustible synthetic turbine oil? It gave quite a hill climb ability to the old NHC250 although it almost hydrolocked it at 3 quarts of turbine oil per 10 gals fuel for a 14 liter engine. Coolant leaked a bit from the water pump too.
There are all kinds of "wives tales" about fuel additives. Some work great, some occupy space, and a few are a complete waste.
Personally I know nothing about Turbine Oil.

I have a container trailer driver friend who is an independent. His truck. His maintenance.
ANYHOW, he is firmly convinced that a gallon of gas in each tank at every fill up.
He runs the wheels off the thing. That is his "additive" of choice...

Micmada

Admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about turbine oil. You’re saying it won’t burn? I’m gonna say it’s EXTREMELY unlikely, even if it separates itself from the fuel and doesn’t burn, that it would raise compression any appreciable amount and borderline impossible for that to cause a hydro lock.
It just behaved weird. I seemed to have no need to push the pedal on the usual bridge climb where my truck feels sluggish. When I shut the engine to go to a store first, it barely turned over upon restart. I then went to a gas station to put some diesel to dilute the mix thinking I should have left the engine running while filling because when I restarted the engine it barely turned over. It cranked a quarter turn and stopped, and when I let go of the starter it actually went over and started. It was very bizare. Now she is running normal.

the turbine oil was surplus stuff the air force uses in C130s. They were dumping the stuff because it was too old and I picked it up thinking it would be ok fuel just like some people use Marvel or motor oil in their trucks. I will have to look up the type.

Last edited:

Micmada

That was this Royco oil. https://www.145.aero/royco-560-case-of-24-qt-p/royco560-cs.htm
Use at own fun risk in engine, is all I can say.

Micmada

There are all kinds of "wives tales" about fuel additives. Some work great, some occupy space, and a few are a complete waste.
Personally I know nothing about Turbine Oil.

I have a container trailer driver friend who is an independent. His truck. His maintenance.
ANYHOW, he is firmly convinced that a gallon of gas in each tank at every fill up.
He runs the wheels off the thing. That is his "additive" of choice...
I would think gas is rough on seals and injectors, even a bit of it, and gas is too volatile for hot applications. I heard Xylene can be used as cetane improver, but the regular cetane improver bought from the store (I forgot the compound name but abbreviated 2EHN) is better on the injectors. Xylene is used in some race cars, especially in Australia, for its high 117 octane and lower vaporization pressure (about 10 to 50 times less volatile than gas and thus prevents vapor locking in race applicaions).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks