• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Actual turbo boost??

I am specing out gauges and think I will go ahead and get boost and pyro now and be done with it. Should I get a 0-35PSI of 0-60? I think 35 will be plenty but just want to make sure. Also I am looking for a half way looking military setup to mount them. You guys have any ideas besides cutting new holes in the dash???

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

houdel

MOST Deuce owners are best served with a 0-15 PSI boost gauge. Unless you really crank up the fuel, a C turbo will typically max out at around 10 PSI, a D turbo will do a couple of PSI more. With that said, there are members on this board who have reported boost exceeding 15 PSI. I'd suggest starting with a 0-15 PSI gauge, if your turbo pegs the needle you can always sell it on Ebay and replace it with a 0-30 PSI gauge. For most of us, the 0-15 PSI gauge is the better choice.

I went the opposite direction, and started out with a 0-30 PSI gauge. My C turbo only put out 6 PSI max originally so I bought a 0-15 PSI boost guage and sold the 0-30 PSI gauge on Ebay for near what I paid for it. I also installed a pyrometer and used that to conservatively adjust my fuel delivery, but my max boost is still only 8 PSI.

If you do decide to adjust you fuel delivery rate, install a good pre turbo pyrometer and adjust the fuel to keep your exhaust gas temperature below 1250F at worst operating conditions. If you can only afford one gauge, get a pyrometer. A boost gauge provides interesting information but there is little that you can do with that information. A pyrometer provides valuable information that you can use to improve your Deuce's performance and/or prevent engine damage via the fuel delivery adjustment route.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A boost gauge provides interesting information but there is little that you can do with that information.
You can safely and properly set the fuel rate with it.
There is an infield procedure(TM) to set the fuel delivery rate that only uses a boost gauge and the vehicles brakes. No use of a pyro is mentioned in this TM.
Basically you load the motor with the brakes and watch the max boost achieved. Then you adjust(fuel rate) per the TM info and check again. Max boost pressure is very important info. For example, it is safe to say that if you cannot get more than say 6 psi boost you cannot over temp(exhaust) the turbo!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
right, a boost gauge is used, but it is used to set the fuel rate VERY conservatively, and you will only have the stock amount of power = very low. a pyro is much more valuable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks