• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adapting mrap rims

dstang97

has anyone cut out the centers of a stock deuce rim and welded them to the inside of a MRAP ? looks like it might work perfect.... Im not looking to spend $900+ on adapters

Kohburn

i've seen pictures of what you describe so i know it had been done and can be done. its just more labor - and unless you have free cheap labor... time is money.

3dAngus

Adapters are $500 shipped from CCEquipment. Who charges $900?
That IS a very labor intensive process, but if you do it yourself, you can save.
Some people have noted they don't wish to do this for safety reasons.
I'm no expert on these kinds of things and don't pretend to understand it.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

eagle4g63

It is a lot easier if you find some deuce rims with riveted on centers.......you can easily remove the rivets and have a nice perfect center to work with.............there is some talk about the legalities of rim re-welding..........some say DOT says it is a BIG NO NO!!!

dstang97

Adapters are $500 shipped from CCEquipment. Who charges $900?
That IS a very labor intensive process, but if you do it yourself, you can save.
Some people have noted they don't wish to do this for safety reasons.
I'm no expert on these kinds of things and don't pretend to understand it.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Your buddy peashooter sells them for $150.

150x6=900
+ bolts
+ shipping.

dstang97

I would ideally put an original rim on a Cnc and cut out as big as I can go and hopefully it will be big enough to not go through the center of the Mrap.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unfortunately I wrestled with this fact for some time. I finally bit the bullet and ponied up the cash for recentered HEMTTs. With the deuce bolt pattern, it's simply a case of "have your cake, but you can't eat it too".

If you have a set of MRAPs already and a couple of spare deuce wheels, and free time on a CNC machine and welder. You should be able to do it cheaply, if you don't count your labor/costs.

dstang97

Unfortunately I wrestled with this fact for some time. I finally bit the bullet and ponied up the cash for recentered HEMTTs. With the deuce bolt pattern, it's simply a case of "have your cake, but you can't eat it too".

If you have a set of MRAPs already and a couple of spare deuce wheels, and free time on a CNC machine and welder. You should be able to do it cheaply, if you don't count your labor/costs.
I never figure in my labor cost because I love working on " my junk"
I may be able to beg my neighbor to cut them out for me

palskidoo

a little off topic but where did you get mrap rims? i would like to do super singles with mrap rims and tires on my deuce.

dstang97

I'm picking them up tomorrow. From a ss. I do have a number of another guy if you are interested. Brand new rim and tire for 375 each.

MilSpec78

I thought briefly about doing this myself before I chose to machine adaptor plates. I made this decision for three reasons:

1. The duece rim material is not very thick. How well would it hold up with the heavy MRAP rims and super singles? I weld fine enough but I don't even gamble in Vegas.
2. Cutting out the deuce rim face in a perfect circle and recentering it on the MRAP wheel seemed like much more work than machining an adapter plate.
3. The adapter plate with the additional ten bolts looks better to me.

With that said, I am sure you can use the rim face of a deuce wheel. I believe you have 12" diameter of rim face and the MRAP wheel center (at least mine) is 11.0625".

Please post pics of you go forweard with it! Thanks and congrats on your rims!

MilSpec78

Another note.

All the adapter plates I have seen are large diameter (over 15") so that they can bolt to the MRAP lug holes or to the outer rim holes. If you are ok with welding the adapter to the center of the MRAP rim (as some do), you can have a local machine shop make you a 12" weld in adapter with the six counter sunk holes for pretty cheap. It represents a lot less machining.

Good luck.

peashooter

Agreed. Motorcycles would be such a cheaper hobby:) Most folks buying the adapters are using them on the 4 wheeled bobbers. There arent too many folks that are putting them on a 6 wheeled deuces. I know of 4 including myself but I know a lot more bobbers. Adapters are expensive but its hard to even get just the steel stock for under $80 each unless you buy a lot. I dont think anyone sells them for under $100/ea. Like Patracy said, if you have the skills, time, and equipment you CAN do it cheaper. I would personally be a little nervous going with the thinner stock wheel flange on the MRAPs, but thats just me.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Agreed. Motorcycles would be such a cheaper hobby:)
I take it you've never owned a motorcycle. I went from motorcycles (Track Days, daily commuting, having fun) to MV's to save money. $200+ in fuel for the truck for the weekend. $400 in tires. $100 in a weekend for fuel. Entry fees, exc. It adds up quick...

peashooter

I take it you've never owned a motorcycle. I went from motorcycles (Track Days, daily commuting, having fun) to MV's to save money. $200+ in fuel for the truck for the weekend. $400 in tires. $100 in a weekend for fuel. Entry fees, exc. It adds up quick...
Your taking a few liberties with my motorcycle to 6 wheeled MV comparison here.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, just pointing out that ANY hobby can get expensive quick.

Would you like to see some pics of two, yes two wheels, that cost more than my M35A2? :oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks