• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Added 12 volt lights to my M105

Happyland1410

I decided to add a set of 12 volt lights to my new M105A2 so that I can tow it with my F350 but still leave all of the 24 volt system in place for towing it with my deuce.

I simply made some brackets out of 1 1/2" aluminum angle which were bolted to the existing light brackets. I purchased 12 volt lights with a metal housing so that I could paint them (gloss black just didn't look right). I also purchased a 4 pin flat trailer wire kit so that the 12 volts lights use completely separate wires and a separate 4-flat trailer connector. Since these lights ground through their base I also ran a separate ground wire from each base back to the frame to ensure a good connection. The ground wire from the pigtail is also grounded to a frame screw at the front of the trailer.

FYI: The lights were $6.38 each and the wiring harness was $11.97 at Walmart.

With some effort I also got the lunette broke loose so that I can flip it when towing with the F350.

Here are some pictures of the lights:

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used LED's - they are multi-voltage. But another light problem is that they are required to have clearance and the 3 bar marker lights on the rear, if the vehicle is over 80" wide. That is not something that you can "grandfather" in.

Nonotagain

I used LED's - they are multi-voltage. But another light problem is that they are required to have clearance and the 3 bar marker lights on the rear, if the vehicle is over 80" wide. That is not something that you can "grandfather" in.
I ran into that problem with registering my M105A3 trailer.

When the Military had the trailers built, they used a three light trio in the rear. The problem is that due to the 80" requirement, I had to install lights on the fenders as well as marker lights up front.

I already had changed the bulbs on the trailer over to 12 volt, so I mounted a set of over 80" LED tail lights under the rear of the fenders which met the requirement for the width issue and installed amble LED marker lights at the front of the trailer box.

My M105A2 trailers, I never ran into a lighting issue with so they still in the same condition as Uncle Sam operated.

I didn't hack into the wiring harness. I made up a 12 pin connector and spliced into those wires for the new lights.

If you run into the back of this trailer while the lights are on you must be legally blind.

davidkroberts

I did something similar with a m101 i had. I was using it so much with my civilian vehicles i went ahead and mounted a set on. I saw walmart had a set of LED trailer lights and I was thinking about wiring them into the bullet connectors as a replacement and wiring a 4 pin connector to the stock wiring harness for a dual voltage system but only one set of lights has anyone else tried this?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks