• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding 2” receiver hitch to HMMWV and hit a snag

m715mike

I bought this >>>
IMG_4234.jpeg

My intent was to keep the pintle hitch and simply add a 2” receiver like this example (which I saw posted here by another member) >>
IMG_3149.jpeg

However, I’m stuck here >>
IMG_4248.jpeg

The 2” receiver is made with 1/2” steel plate. With that in place, the nut no longer goes all the way on the threaded shaft on the pintle hitch.

Am I doing something wrong? Or, is there something I can do differently to securely install the pintle hitch?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn’t the castellated nut like 1.5” tall? Maybe cut 1/2” off it.

edit: no it’s 1” tall and this would be unsafe

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How close are you? How many of those big washers are on the shaft? If you must you can drill a new cotter pin hole on the shaft where you need it 90 degrees perpendicular to the stock hole. What grade bolts are you using on the plate? They must be grade eight or metric 10.9. I have the same setup and use a 10" drop hitch. Good luck.

Mark

rear hmmwv.jpg

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the inside for spacers, I know my (not-airlift bumper) has spaces inside that I'll need to remove to put in a square hitch (someday).

m715mike

How close are you? How many of those big washers are on the shaft? If you must you can drill a new cotter pin hole on the shaft where you need it 90 degrees perpendicular to the stock hole. What grade bolts are you using on the plate? They must be grade eight or metric 10.9. I have the same setup and use a 10" drop hitch. Good luck.

Mark

View attachment 910042
Great questions.

I need pretty close to 1/2” of clearance. There is only one washer on the shaft.

Did you install your set-up? If so, how did you make it work?

The shaft already has two holes for the cotter pin. They are drilled at a 90 degree angle to each other.

I am using grade 8 bolts

m715mike

Is there a spacer or collar on the original one?

can you post a pic of the complete pintle assembly?
Pictures are a little tricky because most of the assembly is bolted on the truck at the moment.

Going from the rear forwards, the pieces are:

1) Pintle
2) Beveled plate for pintle to sit in
3) Plate with bent ears for safety chains
4) 1/2” plate from aftermarket receiver hitch
5) Bumper
6) Thin flat plate
7) Collar with grease fitting
8 ) Washer
9) Castellated nut
10) Cotter pin

IMG_4341.jpegIMG_4343.jpegIMG_4344.jpeg

m715mike

Check the inside for spacers, I know my (not-airlift bumper) has spaces inside that I'll need to remove to put in a square hitch (someday).
See my last post for pictures and a list of parts. There is a thin flat plate on the inside of the bumper, but no other spacers.

m715mike

@MarkM - I just saw in another thread how you mounted the pintle hitch on the bumper extension and put the 2” receiver hitch in the original pintle hitch location. Unfortunately, that’s not an option for me.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 4 hole flange plate on the back with collar has at least 2 variations on height.

Since you have the mwo add on plate for extra capacity, it is taking up some the slack.

The flange plate is where I would consider removing material safely to shorten

sue

The 4 hole flange plate on the back with collar has at least 2 variations on height.

Since you have the mwo add on plate for extra capacity, it is taking up some the slack.

The flange plate is where I would consider removing material safely to shorten
Or just remove the safety chain plate (that will gain you a 1/4”) then cut it in basically thirds and use the two outboard sections (chain loops) and outboard bolts to secure
the cut down safety chain loops.

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just remembered where I got the picture in my first post. It was from AR Hog Hummer’s truck.

@AR Hog Hummer - Did you have any issues mounting the 2” receiver hitch on your HMMWV?
Yes, I had to notch the bottom of the plate about a 1/2" x 4" to get the receiver to lay flat. Also, the pintle hitch shaft will not be long enough to get the castle nut back on. I've read where you can remove the grease ring to get it to thread on enough to get the cotter pin through it....Never tried that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks