• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a fuel tank

dcwilkie

I have a 35 gallon tank I'm planning on adding to the M109A2. I have a couple of choices for electric fuel pumps- 24VDC, negative ground, either 30 or 32 GPM, anti-siphoning valve optional.
Opinions welcome! :-D

Also opinions needed about where to locate the new tank. I was thinking about removing the pioneer rack and installing it there leaving enough room to get at the spare tire lugs and ratchet. :?:

dcwilkie

Sounds good to me!
I think I'd have to do a manual switching between fuel tanks. Kind of like switching tanks in a Cessna. Maybe locate the 3-way valve in the cab?
Also need to figure a way to heat the WVO in tank #2. It gets chilly in North Alabama in the winter. I wonder if it would be better to wrap the tank with heat tape or stick a calrod heater down in the fuel?
Either way I'll have to make up a 28VDC buss for the heater and the new fuel pump with some circuit breakers. I have some left over from a Bellanca project that ought to work.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
FWIW. I discussed this with a maintenance warrant officer once. He stated you need a 5 way valve for 2 fuel supply lines, 2 fuel return lines. He suggested getting one from an old 818 tractor.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should consider separate control over the return lines, so that you can "flush" the fuel system after VO use.
I have been through a box-full of valves and ended up using dirt tolerant motorized valves for my fuel tank selector system.
I think electrical heating is choice, since it wont steel heat from the multifuel engine, which runs cool anyway. Consider heating fuel lines and primary fuel filter also...

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you already have the original tank and lines heated for WVO use, just keep the new tank for diesel only in the winter. That may help with starting in cold weather, and once running, switch back to tank #1. That way you don't need to heat tank #2 and the lines. In warm weather, you can put WVO in both tanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks