• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a Winch

motormayhem

Has anyone added a 24v winch to the front of the m1009? What are some good ones for a reasonable price? Also how do most people install them? Do they just add a receiver hitch on the front?

maritimer

i picked up a superwinch 8500lb winch for mine its 12v and i run it off the front batt, till i can find/affford a 24v winch in the 10000lb area. for the install i used some heavy steel bars mounted just behind the bumper between the frame rails then made a mounting bracket that attaches the winch mount to thesteel bars behind the bumper with the bumper sandwiched between them. then i picked up a generic winc hmountign plate from princess auto * much liek your guy's harbour freight* and weled it to the forward bracket. put some angled braces to the brush gaurd and viola, its held up to some ridiculas winching, regularly gettign close to the limits of the winch. i'll see if i can get some pics soemtiem of it.

86M10086.2L

I'm looking at the same thing. I was thinking of mounting a front receiver hitch, and a second slave cable plug at the rear of the truck and using a old slave cable to hook the winch up. I would think, that if they can handle the load of starting a dead, or nearly dead 2nd vehicle. The winch should be fine. Plus if you look at them. They have cables of about the same gauge that most civilian winches use for wiring anyway. The only real difference being that the winch carries a load over a longer period of time, where as the slave cable only puts a load on as long as it takes to start the other vehicle. I don't think it's a issue though. Thats what I'm most likely going to do for my 1008. I was thinking of going with a front mounted hydraulic winch because they look cool. But the portable one is far more pratical. I'd rather recover my rig than look cool stuck.

Last edited:

randyscycle

If you go with a winch, I'd avoid a receiever hitch type if you plan on using it much. That is just my experience and opinion, but here's why:

First, they don't like anything but a straight pull. No off to the sides pulling at all, unless you use a double receiver, but then you need one on the rear too. And with a rear winch, you need a long run of battery cable, or a rear battery..

Second, almost everytime you need to winch, the truck will be in a position where you will most likely not be able to easily insert the winch into the receiver. It almost always seems to be laying in the back.

Third, there isn't anything fun about lugging a heavy winch and bracket to the front of the truck everytime you need it. Those things weigh a ton and the combined weight of the receiver bracket and winch with the wire rope can be a pain by yourself. Especially so in deep slick mud, snow or cold.

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

First off, I would only have an original military winch made for these on one. I just walked into a complete set up on EBY for $100. He even threw in the bumper, extension, drive shaft and PTO!!!

That being said. I have two 8000# winches I bought at Harbor Freight for $300 each on sale on my trailers. They have worked great. I used to have a Ramsey 8000# on my Toyota which I 4-wheeled a lot. They are identical and have to be made by the same people. I use them to winch up dead M35's onto my 25' gooseneck all the time and have never had a single incident with them. They are 12v and have the freespooling feature.

Derek Taylor

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks