• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding additional gauges?

mcne2026

I'd like to add some additional gauges and not rely on just the idiot lights. I was thinking temp gauge, oil pressure and maybe a tach. Will the senders for the temp and oil pressure send actual data to a gauge or are they just good for the idiot lights? Will I need to install new temp and oil pressure senders to make it work? This is for a '86 M1008.

cucvrus

DSCF4490.jpgDSCF4448.jpgNo the OEM sending units will not work. I do keep them in place and operational. I picked up the water temperature at various locations. Coolant manifold, water pump plug, Rear of passengers side cylinder head. I also tapped into the oil pressure sending location and T'd the connection with a line oil line and a sending unit. I do have some fear of live lines but I never had one fail on a CUCV. I used the tachometer wire on the drivers side GEN 1 to get a signal for my tachometer. I posted a few pictures for reference. I hope they are helpful to get you moving along on your project. I opted to move my entertainment to the radio rack in the rear. DSCF4489.jpgI have a remote for that. Worked out well the past 20 years.

mcne2026

Thanks. I'll start looking at those locations. As for the radio, I don't see much point in having one in my rig. It is so loud inside, I don't think I could ever hear a radio. Most of the weatherstriping is so shot, all I hear is a dozen different whistles when I'm driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks