• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding Cruise Control to C7

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The driver of this bus didnt beleave in cruise control either he died at the wheel of a heart attack and if he had been using it that morning more lives would have been lost if he left the pavement at 70 mph under full power ! RIP UNCLE BILL!

Mccorkled

Berend’s modules are no longer available. Can someone help me figure out how to wire one up myself? I’ll gladly pay. There’s a lot of jargon in these comments that I’m unfamiliar with.

Third From Texas

The attachment in the OP shows how to adapt the switch(es). It's pretty simple. Dave's image on top of page 2 shows the harness side.

FMTV Cruise Control.jpg

2019-07-13 10.48.28.jpg

Like most any cruise control, you need an on/off (toggle) and a set/resume (momentary). It's literally $10 worth of switches from Amazon.

Two switches is all that's basically required. I personally would avoid any wireless solution like BT (but the BT switch Berend used can be easily found on the Internet). To hard wire it, you either dash mount the switches or you can use a spiral cord to connect the switches on the wheel (like the old telephone handset cord). To use a cord method, you run one side thru (typically to a removable plug fitting) on the dash, then the other side to the switches on the wheel. The cord will wrap around the steering column as the steering is turned and unwrap as steering returns to center. I've used this cord method on the p2t mic switch steering in my offroad cars for decades. It's actually a very clean look/install.

But the cruise feature is disabled by default in our trucks. You then need to flash the ECU to get the feature activated (CAT can do that for you). That can be the most expensive part of adding the cruise. Some users here have the means to flash it, but you have to send them your ECU.

You'll also want to tie in the brake switch for disconnecting the cruise.

I can't be of much help with the specifics on the A1R. I've not actually hooked cruise up in my truck yet.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Here's a pic of how my cars were done. You can see the dash connector with the cord running to the wheel and the mic switch.

The spiral cord hangs neatly out of the way, wraps and unwraps as the wheel is turned. The steering wheel is removable, hence the removable connector on the dash. The connector could be optional, I suppose.

The neat thing about this setup is you could use a semi-truck wheel that already has cruise switches (and that opens possibilities for phone switches, etc). It opens a number of other possibilities for wheel-mounted buttons (like p2t for mic, etc).

Sorry for the dust, the car is in storage.

IMG_20240308_162704913 - Copy.jpg

20201125_141808.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks