• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding dump bed to m1070

tatra813

I have a nice M1070 and I’m adding a new 18’ dump truck bed I have. (I also have all the hydraulics, that came off a dump truck.

I spoke to c and c equipment who has converted one before , but its been a while and they couldn’t really remember all that it took to make it happen. The only comment was it was a great dump truck except the suspension was squirmy with the air bags.

Currently a M1070 has a PTO on the transmission with a driveshaft that runs underneath the current winch platform and connects to a hydraulic pump.. I’m thinkining about mounting the hydraulic pump that was part of the dump bed package I got and tying the drivline into the pump.

biggest question is any tips on how to stabilize the air bag situation while dumping? Ive heard when you put pressure on one side of the truck it forces the air into the other sides air bags which can exasperate the problem. Ive hear guys who made water trucks out of these have similar issue.

any thoughts on this?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a nice M1070 and I’m adding a new 18’ dump truck bed I have. (I also have all the hydraulics, that came off a dump truck.

I spoke to c and c equipment who has converted one before , but its been a while and they couldn’t really remember all that it took to make it happen. The only comment was it was a great dump truck except the suspension was squirmy with the air bags.

Currently a M1070 has a PTO on the transmission with a driveshaft that runs underneath the current winch platform and connects to a hydraulic pump.. I’m thinkining about mounting the hydraulic pump that was part of the dump bed package I got and tying the drivline into the pump.

biggest question is any tips on how to stabilize the air bag situation while dumping? Ive heard when you put pressure on one side of the truck it forces the air into the other sides air bags which can exasperate the problem. Ive hear guys who made water trucks out of these have similar issue.

any thoughts on this?
When I got my first LMTV, and before I started reading the TM's, I didn't know about the air bags on the cab. That is the only air bags I know about on these trucks. Short explanation is that it raises the back of the cab roughly 3 inches. Greatly improves the ride for the occupant. It still rides like it has 4 or 6 square wheels, but with the air bags inflated - it is like having rounded square wheels. :cool:

The cab could be "bolted" in the full down position, but I don't see that making anything different while dumping dirt.

If you already have a PTO and a drive shaft to run a pump - you are more than half way done with the project!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The air pressure regulators for the air bags are behind the center dash panel. Good luck. They are a royal pain to get to. You can add these to the dash to adjust air pressure to each side. Etc

The pto override has to be done as well if want to move using the pto. Pull the panel for the parking brake valve. Connect the 2 wires on the switch hooked to the top

DeMilitarized

When I got my first LMTV, and before I started reading the TM's, I didn't know about the air bags on the cab. That is the only air bags I know about on these trucks. Short explanation is that it raises the back of the cab roughly 3 inches. Greatly improves the ride for the occupant. It still rides like it has 4 or 6 square wheels, but with the air bags inflated - it is like having rounded square wheels. :cool:

The cab could be "bolted" in the full down position, but I don't see that making anything different while dumping dirt.

If you already have a PTO and a drive shaft to run a pump - you are more than half way done with the project!

talking about a M1070 HET like in my profile picture. Not a m1078 lmtv which you are thinking of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks