• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adjusting valves

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it sound like a Smith Corona typerwriter? When the valve clearence is correct, it will sound smooth and will run better. Mine had .050 + clearence on the exhaust, and was getting real bad mileage..about 4-5 mpg. Did a tune up, mileage went from 5 to 8, revved better and the smoke toned down. It's pretty easy, took about an hour to do it, including pulling out the tools. Yes you can do it with 1 person. I just used a wrench on the back side of the compressor pulley and pushed down on the compressor belt to tension it enough to turn the engine.

acetomatoco

How often? Once in 30 years would be more often than they have had it... would be a good exercise for you as it is all at the top of the engine and it does not have to be running...do not know what "Civilian way" means...if you mean quick and easy, it is already that way...Military way would be to replace engine complete while they are teaching the Ord Mechs how to read the crummy manuals...and fighting over who Soldier 1 is going to be today.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pretty sure it's .010 on the intake and .025 on the exhaust...........specs are on the engine tag on the pass. side on the front side of the engine.

I turned the engine over using a prybar on the jackshaft between the tranny and transfer case....but it goes without saying that making sure the engine stop cable is fully pulled out is a good precaution :p

Can't remember which manual it is........"organizational maintence for LD/LDT 465 series" or something like that

houdel

As always, Bjorn had it right. I would have said .025 on both sides and been wrong. Gotta remember to read the TMs BEFORE I post to get the numbers.... DO read the TM's before you try this at home, they tell you how to adjust all 12 valves with only 1 (manual) crank of the engine, better to get it right the first time. I need to check my valve adjustment, except I sold my spare set of valve cover gaskets to Bjorn after his 2x cross country road trip with the cranetruck.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks