• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on local M105A2 purchase

stereoman405

Hi guys,

I've been lurking this site for a while trying to decide which trailer would be the best fit for me and I think I've settled on an M105A2. My problem is that being in Washington state I don't see a whole lot in the way of auctions recently, so I don't know how much is too much to pay. It seems like back east you guys can get them all day long for $150 - $300, but for me to ship one here I'm easily over $1,000.

So I've found someone local that has two of them and I'll be looking at them this weekend. They both have sides / bows, decent tires, landing gear, etc.. One is apparently in pristine shape and he's asking $1,200 for it, The other has a little bit of surface rust and is slightly more dinged up for $600. Am I in the right ball park here for my region?

Keep in mind getting a crappy 4 x 8 snow mobile trailer around here costs you $600 - $800...

At first I was leaning towards an M101A2, but I'm having an even harder time finding those in a 1500 mile radius...

Thanks!

dittle

Converting to 12 volts basically requires 4 new light bulbs (around $2.00) and making a pigtail from the military wiring (12 pin I believe) down to a 4 pin. Schematics are in the TMs for you to re-wire with. I don't know how much that is worth (it took me 15 minutes to make the pigtail) to have someone else do but it is easy to do. You can drive a long distance for $600 - $800 in gas to get a cheap trailer. What are you going to pull it with?

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch. I have a completely new 105A2 with LED lights and only had to give 220 total w/all fees. Pristine 101, 600 out the door. 1200 seems very high for a 105. Hmm, I think I would keep searching. They may be more scarce out there, but I think you can do better then 1200/600 respectively.

Eco

stereoman405

First off what will you pull it with? ...

I have a '96 Landcruiser FZJ80. Hardly stock though, for after market goodies it has aninter-cooled turbo, fuel management (400ish ft/lbs torque), beefed up transmission valve body, 3" lift with heavy duty springs, poly bushings, SS lines, 4 wheel slotted / drilled rotors, etc.... I've pulled a tandem flatbed with my buddies custom Willy's and two motorcycles at 65-70 with no worries. She's a pretty stout rig.

My biggest concern is braking, more to be easy on my rig's brakes than anything. The majority of use that this thing will get is general furniture type hailing, occasional yard waste, future ATV's, and I pick up 4 tons of pellets a year a ton at a time. Might do a little firewood now as well. Just all around general utility.

I havn't seen a 105 in person yet and the more I'm reading about them they do seem pretty big. 36" Pintle height?? Ouch. I'd have to put some smaller meats on here and remove some leaves if possible to make it 'utlility friendly'. Speaking of which, what is teh bolt pattern on thse guys? What wheel would work as a spare, and what tires can be run? (probably all questions for a seperate thread...)

dittle

Stereoman,

I haul wood pellets with mine just like you are planning with my diesel '04 Super Duty; the trailer will handle that load no problem. Braking will be you biggest issue, not quite sure the rating of your LC; I just leave a little extra room when I have a load on. If you have a 2" receiver you can get an offset receiver to take care of the issue (plus rotate the lunette). Tires are the same bolt pattern and rim as the deuce so if you want different tire height you might as well replace the axel so you can have trailer brakes as well.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
the cherokee is a little smaller than your LC, but should give you an idea of scale. Empty I don't think you would have a problem, but with a load on it I think it would push you around pretty badly if you have to swerve or brake hard.

Attachments

stereoman405

the cherokee is a little smaller than your LC, but should give you an idea of scale. Empty I don't think you would have a problem, but with a load on it I think it would push you around pretty badly if you have to swerve or brake hard.

Wow that sucker looks big in that picture... I might have to add a dropped electric brake axle to make it a little more proportionate....

Just start off by buying the M-105, when you get it home and look it over you will say "hey I need something to pull this with". Then you go out an buy an M-35 or M-109, then a 5-ton, etc.
HA, now you're hooked. That trailer isn't so cheap anymore.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
emmado is dead on. those are both of my trailers. the tires are 9.00 X 20 on the 105 6 lug and 9.00 X 16 on the 101 5 lug . The 101 would serve you better for what you are going to use it for. Heres pics of what I use on my tahoe. You can get this at Northern tool. I flip it to use on the tahoe and beefed it up a little.

Attachments

Last edited:

Militoy

....I've pulled a tandem flatbed with my buddies custom Willy's and two motorcycles at 65-70 with no worries....

....My biggest concern is braking, more to be easy on my rig's brakes than anything....

...I havn't seen a 105 in person yet and the more I'm reading about them they do seem pretty big. 36" Pintle height?? Ouch....
Most tandem flatbed trailers have surge brakes - or at least electric brakes. Good brakes will allow an undersized truck to tow an otherwise unreasonable load, marginally, with somewhat reasonable safety. I've owned and driven a number of Landcruisers over the years - and as much as I respect their excellent engineering - I believe the M105 will be too big for your truck to haul comfortably. My M105 will absolutely shove my 8000 pound, 19-foot-long, 6-wheel Gama Goat right off the road in a hard stop, unless it's practically unloaded. I highly recommend that you hold out for the much more reasonably-sized and useful M101.

MilitaryRestoration

Ive got a decent m101a1 in your back yard pretty much that is for sale, along with m105's and also trucks... let me know if you are still interested stereoman...
here are some pictures of the 101 and also I do have the side racks, front racks, rear barn doors and can possibly get the bows as well for it. Pay fuel costs and I may even deliver it ;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

Srjeeper

From what your telling us I'd say the 105 is way to big for what you want it for.

A 105 weighs 2,700lbs EMPTY, has air over hydraulic brakes and was designed to be pulled by a M35 type vehicle.

Be patient, keep watching and a 101 or something better suited will come along.

2cents

stereoman405

Ive got a decent m101a1 in your back yard pretty much that is for sale, along with m105's and also trucks... let me know if you are still interested stereoman...
here are some pictures of the 101 and also I do have the side racks, front racks, rear barn doors and can possibly get the bows as well for it. Pay fuel costs and I may even deliver it ;-)
PM sent! (Forgot to ask for bed dimensions on the 101, inside rail to rail, and fender to fender.)

Most tandem flatbed trailers have surge brakes - or at least electric brakes. Good brakes will allow an undersized truck to tow an otherwise unreasonable load, marginally, with somewhat reasonable safety. I've owned and driven a number of Landcruisers over the years - and as much as I respect their excellent engineering - I believe the M105 will be too big for your truck to haul comfortably. My M105 will absolutely shove my 8000 pound, 19-foot-long, 6-wheel Gama Goat right off the road in a hard stop, unless it's practically unloaded. I highly recommend that you hold out for the much more reasonably-sized and useful M101.
Either route I go (101 or 105) adapting the air over hydraulic to surge, or just swapping out an electric brake axle would be a must. (Plus it would allow me to use the same spare that my LC uses.) Funds would just make that a project that might have to wait until fall if I can't find a cheap 105. Thanks for the input though, I am starting to veer a little more to the 101.