• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on purchasing a 5 ton

Blazer1987

Hi, im looking at a m931a2. I spoke with the owner and he said he thinks the transfer case is making noise. I asked about the noise. He said it sounded like a loose chain in the transfer case,but he was not sure. Is the transfer case chain drive? The owner has been driving it for 2 years and the noise has not got any worse or better. If the transfer case was making noise wouldnt it blow up after years of driving? Do these trucks have a common transfer case problems? I thought they are gear drive cases? Maybe it could be just something else loose or rattling? Thank you.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They blow up in reverse low.
I believe you meant to say they blow up (crack the case) in reverse low when under a load. Just putting the truck in reverse low and backing around the yard won't blow it up.

But it never hurts to be safe.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front drive shaft carrier bearing makes the "rattling chain" sound. They can last a long time making noise. I had the same problem. Take the front drive hubs off and take it for a spin. This will keep the shaft/bearing stationary.