• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-assist steering pressure regulator problem

coyotegray

Has anyone else had a problem with the air-o-matic pressure regulator venting air? It will drop it below 60lb setting off the low air warning and causing the safety valve to the steering system to trip.

I messed with it and it stopped for a few weeks but is doing it again..

Thanks,
Andy.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes,
My m35a3 just started to do that..I adjusted the knob counter-clockwise until it stoped, but im afrade the streering will be to hard now..Maybe i should take it off and go with full pressure..anyone else?...I guess the knob is how much effort you want to turn the wheel..
kevin..
Or just take it apart and clean it as best as i can..

tjcouch

Well, obviously, I would not have recommended removing the air regulator if I had not tested it . . . . the extent of my test so far: 200 miles on the road and many, many hours off road as I tried to unstick a couple of other MVs on a nasty FL trail.

If you do some digging on this site, you will find posted from people MUCH MORE in the know than me, that say to remove the regulator all-together.

:-D :-D :-D

coyotegray

Yes,
My m35a3 just started to do that..I adjusted the knob counter-clockwise until it stoped, but im afrade the streering will be to hard now..Maybe i should take it off and go with full pressure..anyone else?...I guess the knob is how much effort you want to turn the wheel..
kevin..
Or just take it apart and clean it as best as i can..
It regulates the amount of air pressure fed to the steering system for it to use. I tested mine and it has a range from zero to about 50psi... My air system will build about 120 psi. I’m not sure I want to feed all of that to the steering. I may replace it with an aftermarket regulator.

Andy.

jatonka

The regulator you are talking about is the one mounted on the frame rail near the hole in the frame for the bulkhead connector to supply air to the torque valve in the drag link?
If so, it is already an aftermarket regulator valve, I have purchased them in the past for air-o-matics installed on GL auctioned trucks. They were always missing or broken on the trucks. The civilian style Air-O-Matic steering kit does not come with this regulator. I don't think a person needs them to have a successful air steering installation. JT out

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes thats the regulator. Black knob, etc...I will remove myne this weekend and see what happens..I think the air is regulated before it gets to this valve..Its not 120psi going in..
Kevin..