• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air cleaner question

recon

I have a 1970 Kaiser M-35A2. Recently a mouse got in the air cleaner and caused the check filter indicator to pop up. While cleaning it out I noticed a nipple about 2 inches long and 1 inch in diameter coming out of the pot that holds the filter. What is supposed to be connected to it? I covered it with screening and a hose clamp to keep the mice out. I didn't find any unconnected hoses.
Recon, Dutchess County, NY

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For deep water fording, the compressor air intake is plumbed to it. Should be covered if not used or make it a permanent connection to the compressor.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread has the title I need. I do not mean to hi-jack, but it's probably old enough to borrow for a bit.

I'm noticing two types of air cleaner arrangements on the deuce. One, (like mine), is just a mushroom shaped cover sticking straight out sideways. The other that I'm seeing has a 90 degree (elbow) and is a verticle mushroom. It's not tall. Only hood height. What is the "correct" breather?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sideways would be the original.
I added the elbow some ten years ago to my deuce and have since seen it in the PS magazine and in a movie "A time to kill" (NG units).....

rmgill

The elbow is a "hack" to keep the mushroom from easily ingesting water and snow. It sheds water more easily when sitting or running and you don't have as many problems with the filter getting wet or clogged.

jwaller

Re: RE: air cleaner question

oifvet said:
Are the elbows and associated hardware something that can be found out there? Or, is it pretty generic?
it's a piece of pipe that can be obtained from napa in 1 part # and bolts directly in place as is. search for my usrname and you will find a whole topic about this.

jatonka

Why is it a "hack" It is a H$%K of a LOT better set up than original equipment. At least in Snow Country.
I put one of these readily available 4" exahaust elbows on my first truck 12 years ago and have been doing it ever since on all the ones I use in the winter. Some people actually call it "Tennis Elbow".

houdel

Go to most any auto parts store and ask them to order a 4" OD x 4" ID exhaust pipe elbow. It will fit perfectly!

rmgill

Hack does not equal 'hack job'.

Hacks are where you make a change that works better but just never gets implemented by the manufacturer. They can be simple or very complex.

Capt.Marion

Just reading through this thread, and I noticed you're out of Dutchess Co, NY, there Recon. Whereabouts up there? I spend my summers up in Rhinebeck and Red Hook.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NAPA Part # for the 4" diameter, 10" 'elbow" is EXH41378.

I paid $31.99 (w/ tax and discount). Regular price is around $36.00.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks