• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Force Refuler Truck ID

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OMG! I thought those were all dead and scrapped off the face of the earth! Don't know the military designation, but in civi life, I believe that is a Dodge Bison, fold out fenders, the ones I have seen had Cummins V-6 and V8s, VIM/VINE 265s, 285s & 300s They are getting hard to find parts for and are prone to spinning cam bushings. Cam comes out the rear, like a 2 stroke detroit. that means it comes out to do a cam job!
I don't remember if the "late model" ones had 903s in them.....shudder

FrankUSMC

We still have them at MCAS Cherry Point, got them from the Air Force. They still work, and we have little to no money to get new stuff. My freind has two at his place. I will check to see if he scraped them out during his big clean up.
One of the few, Frank

NEIOWA

1975 +/- vintage R9 5000gal refueler. Dodge XCNT800 Cummins 555. Hale midship pump (if not removed with the doghouse between the cab/tank).

A lot of these are in use (and the newer Mack R) in Fire Depts for water tankers (much overloaded).

Elwenil

Those keep popping up. I think Idaho Motor Pool had a few of them, Oshkosh Equipment has a nice one too I think. I think they are Detroit powered, note the forward exit exhaust. Oddly enough, we have a 50 something model dual line wrecker here with that cab on it and a 361 big block gas engine.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a 555, I might have one or know where there is one. Get an engine s/n off the data tag...It's under the fuel pump.

m139h2otruck

Tanker

This is the same type/size/kind of tank installed on our M139, which was cut about 4 feet shorter (16' +or- now). All aluminum with multi baffles inside, but all one tank, not divided. If the originals are 20 feet long, and held 5,000 gallons, it makes ours about 4,000 gallons and very heavy when full of H2O (33,368# water only). Original 1400x20 tires as singles on the back are way overloaded! But, we only run it empty on the street between sites. On site in sand loaded and in low range 2nd gear it will go anywhere.

NEIOWA

Elwenil said:
Those keep popping up. I think Idaho Motor Pool had a few of them, Oshkosh Equipment has a nice one too I think. I think they are Detroit powered, note the forward exit exhaust. Oddly enough, we have a 50 something model dual line wrecker here with that cab on it and a 361 big block gas engine.
As noted Cummins.

"All" the AF refuelers have the muffler/exhaust under the front bumper. Someones safety idea. Dating back to gas engine days I would assume.