• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air horns

Kaiserjeeps

I did a search as we have talked about this before. I for some reason could not find what I was looking for. I have finially obtained a NOS duece air horn set up and the NOS solenoid to go with it. My question is where does the air horn mount? Plus where does it get its air supply? Is it full system pressure to power them or regulated down? I know I asked some of these questions before. I just can't find the posts.
Thanks for any help... Al..

Low-Tech-Redneck

On our deuce, it's located inside the passenger side fender, near the front, and on the inner fender well, if I can remember right, as to the nuts and bolts of how it works, I can't remember, it's been a couple months since I went under the hood

Opie

I don't have technical answers to your questions, but here are some pics, with apologies to Monster Man - The King of Deuce How-To Photo Layouts...

The air horns appear to get the air supply from where the air goes through the firewall to the air pressure buzzer. My truck has a t-connection there, and the air is then piped between the firewall and the air filter, along the fender, and up to where the horns are mounted. Whatever governs the sounding of the horn has been tapped from the old "meep-meep" horn and run back to the new set-up.

Kaiserjeeps

Thats great Opie! Thanks for taking those pictures. I cannot believe how loud the horns are verses the little beep beep horn. I will try to plumb it in this weekend. I ordered some correct military electrical terminals from Saturn. Can't wait to honk..LOL.

Armada

Anyone ever tried tying in 2 sets of air horns? I've got an extra set I've been wanting to add. :idea: I guess depending on how they were plumbed, series vs parallal, it would be half as loud or twice as loud? :confused: I guess the db level wouldn't necessarily double though. Any ideas?
Now that I think about it, you couldn't plumb it series.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm a little disappointed in how these horns sound. They sound like a couple of high pitched trumpets. I would like to get ahold of some deep sounding big rig type horns that are real deep and low, or better yet some train horns would be cool.

Kaiserjeeps

Well, I'm pretty happy since I started out with the little beep beep horn. I cannot hear that horn with the motor just off idle. I was driving by some kids the other day. They all stopped playing and started giving me the universal sign to honk my horn. I hit the horn and they looked pretty disappointed. Bleeet... So the new air horns are loud. Much louder to me. I'll find a train horn next year. LOL..

Elwenil

Horn tone is controlled by by the length and diameter of the horn. One thing that worked for me and my set of 128 dbl Hadleys was using snow caps. You can get them at most stuck stops. Scuff them up and paint them OD and pop them on, and it will take a little of the "brassy" sound out. Another thing you can play with is the air pressure. More pressure tends to make a louder noise, but also higher pitched. Lower pressure is quieter, and a little lower. Just my .02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks