• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air intake flow

jag7720

I did some reading several weeks ago when I was looking for an M1009.

I read a post somewhere that said the air filter housing inlet does not let enough air in. This person showed some pictures of his double stacked filters and "addition" inlet hole and plumbing to the front of the vehicle for cold air. He also talked about cutting the top so the filter was open 360 degrees for better air supply.

My question is this... is that hole in the filter housing sufficient? Would an additional hole help (is it worth the effort) or would a 360 degree open filter be better (again, is it worth the effort)?

Thoughts?

Jason
Kansas City, MO

Tibby

I had the same thought about my M1028 several years ago. Since the air filter inlet really doesn't lend itself to enlargement very well, and I don't do fabrication, I tried changing the air filter. I went to a K&N with a K&N foam prefilter. There seemed to be some performance improvement. Just for fun, I flipped the filter top over, as one might with a universal air filter housing. The configurationis such that you can't screw it back down with the wing nuts. I managed to bungee cord it sufficiently to get it down tight against the filter top. I went for a test run with this 'open' air filter configuration. I immediately put the filter top back in place properly. While I think I detected a performance increase (less than I thought it would be), the intake noise level was pretty bad. Not worth it. I have the factory inlet with a flexible hose going from there to the factory air intake by the slave cable plug. Seems to work fairly well. Perhaps if one could fabricate a somewhat larger inlet themselves, it might be worth it. I talked to a fabrication shop about it, and for the money they were talking, I said forget it.

jag7720

That makes sense.

Then on the noise front... I have an 87 diesel van and it has this plastic muffler inline from the front of the vehicle to the air filter. Has anyone ever put something like this on an CUCV? Was it very effective? Was it worth the effort?

Probably thinking too much...

Jason

Somemedic

Search the forum. I thought u made the mod Cattlett and said it was a noticable difference with how quiet the motor was. Had pics too. I saw this issue on the Diesel Page and I believe some guru had taken a early 70's muscle car air filter housing that has dual ports instead of single. Like Chuck was saying I would think the gains would be minimal unless made in conjunction with fuel increrases and exhaust/muffler mods. The motor already runs lean, Id go with a quieter tone myself....

tklm539

I Just put in a K&N. I do not really see a major performance difference, but the filter and injector cleaner in some combo, picked me up 5mpg for the last three tanks!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks