• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air line thread types?

rmgill

Sunday, in between working on the yard, I decided to try to add in the second horn for my deiuce on the left side fender for a nice 4 tone effect. Well, I took a fitting off to the parts store to look for extra fittings and a Tee. But what I found was that the airline fittings on my deuce don't quite match what either Home Depot or OReilly auto parts has for fittings (ORielly has the best selection of fittings over Advance, Napa, and Autozone). The fittings at first glance look like 3/8" compression fittings with an acorn slid onto the tubing in front of the nut. The nut will NOT go over the stock 3/8 fittings in the store and the 3/8 nuts fit loosely on the fittings that plumb into the horn solenoid or into the Tee off of the air compressor governor.

Anyone know where I can get these kinds of fittings? I'm about to go perusing through McMaster Carr's pages. Surely they're not metric! :?

rmgill

The long nut that I had had a "Brake" notation on it. McMaster Carr has a DOT spec Brass fitting notation on page 140. Could that be it?

devilman96

I am not sure about McMaster but I do know NAPA carries them in their Weatherhead "Brass and Steel Fittings" Master catalog under "air brake" copper tubing. To spare some agony let me see if I can list the needed parts out.

If you have the fitting(s) shown in the picture attached to the solenoid you need...

3/8 Union tee 1364X6
3/8 compression nut 1361X6
3/8 compression sleeve 1360X6
Plus X number of feet of tubing...

If you do NOT have the fitting(s) in your solenoid you will need...

90' elbow 3/8 to 1/8 pipe 1369X6X2
3/8 Union tee 1364X6
Plus X number of feet of tubing...

Mind the person you give these numbers to... If they are not of the intelligent sort and familiar with Weatherhead fittings they will say the numbers are no good.

If you need a specific fitting send me a pic and I will post it or ask the flunkies at the store to get the catalog for you...

Attachments

rmgill

Cool, thanks. I do have the fittings on the solenoid. I'm going to have to get a Tee fitting as well and the nuts/sleeve for that as well so I can Tee into the airline from the tanks closer to the left side where the horn is going.

Towman2277

I know the fuel lines on the gasser are just "Standard" thread from the tank all around...not sure on the diesel models. I replaced some airlines and tubing and found all the parts at NAPA, under "Airbrake Hardware" fittings.

devilman96

As for fuel... I THINK so but I have not messed with the system enough to say for sure. Everything I have dismantled or assembled has been on the pipe (threads) adapter sides of the fittings... A quick test would be to unthread a fitting and try one of the air fittings before installing them, report back so we know for the future..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks