• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air pressure problem

PaFarmer

My Deuce will not build more than 60 PSI. I though it was a bad regulator. I got a replacement from NAPA, but I still have the same problem. The regulator is the unit that I turned up on a search of this site. It has a range of 105-120 PSI. The prior owner installed an air assist steering kit. It has worked fine the past two years I have had it.

I do not know how the compressor works. Is it possible that the compressor is going bad? Is there a problem with the line back to the pump?

There are no air leaks that I can fine when I turn the truck off.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

AceHigh

Just for chuckles there should be a little valve to shut the air assist off on the firewall. It would be worth closing it and trying the truck just to see if there is a leak internally in the steering. They can actually be very quiet inside the big cylinder.

Bill W

I didn't know NAPA sold a pressure regulator for the deuce??
This is the regulator I adjust my pressure with ( mounted on the fire wall ) I have mine set to 95psi.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bill, I think Pafarmer was talking about the regulator for the air assist steering. Pafarmer, have you verified the gauge is still good? Might as well start with the cheap stuff. The part Bill showed is the air govenor, it tells the air compressor to turn on/off, it could have gone bed too, but I'd make sure the gauge works first.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps the unloader valve is stuck, on the compressor.

PaFarmer

Thanks for the replies.

Bill, NAPA does sell a replacement for the regulator you pictured. It mounts the same, but it looks a bit different. There are several threads about the part.

The truck has worked fine for the past two years with the air assist.

I will focus on the pump itself. I do not think it is a belt slipping, it is not squeeling.

Heavysteven

I didn't know NAPA sold a pressure regulator for the deuce??
This is the regulator I adjust my pressure with ( mounted on the fire wall ) I have mine set to 90psi.

Why only 90 PSI? I am at 120

I would check for leaks on the truck, drain valves on the tanks, trailers valves in the back, etc... Put a little air tool oil in the air compressor intake. Then try to adjust the regulator. If all that fails then i would replace the air compressor.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just fixed this same type of problem on a truck of mine, in my situation it turned out to be one of the short air lines for the air assist. I could not hear it leaking when I shut the truck off but when I sprayed it with some soapy water I had a bubble bath going! Napa was able to make me a new hose with the same fittings for under $11.00! Fixed the problem and the air pressure goes right up to approx 120 psi.

Bill W

Thanks for the replies.

Bill, NAPA does sell a replacement for the regulator you pictured. It mounts the same, but it looks a bit different. There are several threads about the part.
Thanks
Did you try (re) adjusting the pressure screw on your new one?

HS
Actually I have mine set at 95psi ( corrected my previous post ).
I did not want to overload the airpac to which the brakes seem to work fine at that pressure. , if I remember correctly max pressure should be set about 110psi

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does it hold the air after you shut it down? i was PM'ing my truck the other day and spayed some WD-40 in the air intake just for kicks and giggles... im not an expert on these animals, but i couldnt see where it would hurt anything. i also removed the line for the unloder valve and sprayed some WD-40 in there even though mine is working fine. it still works good, so thats a plus!

PaFarmer

Good advice. I have the same issue Scott described. There must be a line in the air assist leaking. Slow enough to be quiet, fast enough that the compressor can not keep up. I shut off the valve to the air assist and the compressor built up the pressure quickly. Thanks again. Now to get on the line with soap spray to figure out where the leak is.

Bill W

If yours looks like the picture I posted of mine then you loosen the lock nut on the right side ( looking at picture ) and tighten the threaded stud.