• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air pump rebuild questions

Lonesome715

I got a hold of what appears to be a good used air pump a while back. I was going to go ahead and install it but it needs some help. Inside it looks great so I am not all that concerned with a total tear down. But outside it is a bit weathered and was leaking. So I want to clean it up and replace all the gaskets. Is there a gasket kit out there somewhere? If so who would have it? Also, who is a good source to go to about these specific pumps? To me they do not look all that different than the pumps I have seen on commercial civilian trucks. So I am assuming parts should be easy to get.

Barneyszoo

I rebuilt a twin cylinder compressior. It's preaty easy, I got some gasket materal from the parts store it was Victor brand and made my own. its easy if you have the old gaskets for a patern but you can do it just from the parts themselfes

Lonesome715

Thanks for the part number!

I was thinking about making my own. I think I already have enough material. That is what I have been doing since I got into these trucks. The gaskets have been either too hard to find or too coslty for me to buy. So I just made them. I did not know if these would be different though.

A rebiuld kit for the inside would be a good peice of information to have just in case this one turns out to be bad.

stancanpara

Thanks for the part number!

I was thinking about making my own. I think I already have enough material. That is what I have been doing since I got into these trucks. The gaskets have been either too hard to find or too coslty for me to buy. So I just made them. I did not know if these would be different though.

A rebiuld kit for the inside would be a good peice of information to have just in case this one turns out to be bad.
Exactly! :wink:

Barneyszoo

The pully is in two halfs. A nut holds the back half onto the crank shaft, take that nut off. the pully and crank shaft have a taper on them where they mate up, there is no key way so when you put it back together you will have to lap them together or it could spin on the shaft.

Lonesome715

That explains the threads. Yours looks like new. How did you get it to spin off? Mine is rusty so I have been soking the threads with oil. I figured in a few more days it would have gone in deep enough to free it up.

Lonesome715

The nut and the bolts came right off. Its the pully halvs that are stuck. I did nit know it was two seperate peices but I did notice the threads. so I used a punch and a hammer to try and knock it lose. I did not beat on it hard becuase I was afraid I would damage it. But I did tap on it enough to at least make it move. I am hoping the oil soaking will help.

Lonesome715

Thanks for thr advice on the pully. It twisted right off earlier. This compressor is a bit more complicated than I thought it would be. I can handle it fine, I just have to go a bit further than I had originally planned. I have tried to track down that NSN but no luck. The only places it shows up are hte sites the governement orders them from. I cannot locate any prices at all. I sent Memhis Equipment and email and now I am waiting for a response. I have also been trying places that work on medium duty trucks. I found one place in Bama that might be able to help but I am afraid of the cost.

JDToumanian

Aren't those compressors made by Midland? I would think with a model/serial number, any truck parts place should be able to order a repair kit.... I don't think they're anything special but I could be wrong...

Lonesome715

You are correct. The place I called earlier told me they are made by Midland but he cannot get me a rebuild kit he can only get a re-manned unit for $400. That goes against what I am trying to do. So now that I know who makes it I know what to look for.