• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air shift axle conversion

1973ih

im new to these trucks and i have a 67 kaiser m35 and i was wondering if i could put a switch like on the later models to engage the front axle please help would like to learn more about the truck

thanks cody

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early non-airshift trucks had a linkage from the transmission to the transfer case that shifted the sprag in the tc (transfer case) from forward to reverse. The gear ratio for the front output shaft on their tc is different from the ratio to the rear axles. The sprag is an overrunning clutch that kicks in the front drive when the rear wheels slip a certain percent. There are two sprags, one for forward and one for reverse. The shift rod from the trans tells the tc whether to use the forward or reverse sprag. For that reason, you cannot just change the tc to a locked in or out shift mode like the air shift models. The gear ratios difference would cause a wind-up between the front and rears. The tc in the air shift models have the same gear ratio to all axles. .
I called Memphis Equipment, who made a conversion kit for the older trucks, but they no longer make it. You will be best off leaving it like it is, or buying a tc that is air shift along with the controls if you think you really want to go that way.

Regards Marti

wsucougarx

If you have a Sprag transfer case then you'll need to do two things. Find an Airshift transfer case and an Airshift Transfer Case Kit. The kit has all the necessary parts to equipt the Airshift transfer case change out incl the in cab air switch and air hose fittings. The Airshift transfer case is a direct bolt on.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some of the under dash selector switches if you need one for your swap.

1973ih

more on air shift

well it seems to be a little harder than i thaught so do any of you guys have the same setup as me and is it relaible system !!

stumps

Sprags were all swapped out because, like many things, they are easily broken if you treat them wrong. Unfortunately sometimes wrong treatment doesn't seem all that wrong.

Your sprag needs one thing from you without fail: never let the truck move in a direction the shift lever says it shouldn't. For instance, if you are in a forward gear, don't let the truck roll backwards. And if you are in reverse, don't let the truck roll forward. And yes, that means that when you stop on a hill, you must not let the truck drift back while you get your clutch engaged.

Other than that, they need periodic adjustment, and the occasional repair from when someone didn't follow the above rules.

-Chuck

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I would actually prefer a functional sprague to an airshift. I would say that if you have 6WD in both forward and reverse, leave it alone.

JasonS

Sprags were all swapped out because, like many things, they are easily broken if you treat them wrong. Unfortunately sometimes wrong treatment doesn't seem all that wrong.

Your sprag needs one thing from you without fail: never let the truck move in a direction the shift lever says it shouldn't. For instance, if you are in a forward gear, don't let the truck roll backwards. And if you are in reverse, don't let the truck roll forward. And yes, that means that when you stop on a hill, you must not let the truck drift back while you get your clutch engaged.

Other than that, they need periodic adjustment, and the occasional repair from when someone didn't follow the above rules.

-Chuck
I have had several sprag transfer cases. None of which were broken or maladjusted (at least not the sprag section!). The fact is the sprag elements wear out and the transfer case gets a bad rap because of it. This is why they all work in reverse but not forward.

stumps

I have had several sprag transfer cases. None of which were broken or maladjusted (at least not the sprag section!). The fact is the sprag elements wear out and the transfer case gets a bad rap because of it. This is why they all work in reverse but not forward.
I have to wonder if they all work in reverse, but not necessarily forward because it is less common to put the truck in reverse and have it roll forward than it is to put the truck in first gear and have it roll backward? One is an occasional thing, and the other is an every stop sign on a hill thing.

-Chuck