• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air shift servo/switch question -possibly sticking

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lately, when I engage the air shift, it engages OK or so it seems, and when I disengage it, I believe it takes some litle time to disengage.

The syptom is that the light is sometimes late to come on, and sometimes stays on after the lever is flipped OFF for a few seconds to a couple minutes.

How is the light controlled?

Could the mechanism in the servo be dirty and sticking? How is it lubricated?

Thanks,
PJ

acetomatoco

maybe even the sending unit for the light is lazy... You should be able to hear the clunk of the drive gear engaging when you flip the lever.. Soldier #2 can listen.. Have full tank of air and shut engine off so you can hear the noise... go under and look and listen.. How is oil in xfer case.. new and fresh and wonderful GL1 90 wgt?

sermis

Light should be air activated. Comes on when there is air pressure and off when air is released from the line. The light is not hooked to the transfer unit it’s self except through the air line.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gentlemen! I can check it more closely this weekend. If the light works off the pressure in the line after the switch, then I can troubleshoot from there on. The transfer has clean GL-5/MT1 85/95 with 3500 miles on the lube (last year's road trip plus a little). The truck's been run enough lately to heat things up, should not be contaminated by moisture or anything. It's going to be a hot day Saturday, but I might take the truck down to teague to visit a friend, about 100 miles each way.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated, the light switch is air activated. The switch must be able to release air pressure via its "exhaust port", if clogged, pressure will remain. Could be a matter of simply cleaning the switch assy.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The switches themselves can fail; when I got my truck, the electrical switch was no good and when pressure was applied, it didn't close the circuit and power the bulb. The replacement I got from Memphis came with the contacts stuck in the closed position, so as long as the main power was on, the light was on.

moreorles2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a weird problem with my transfer switch. Within the past month, I've noticed a puddle on the floorboards/tranny hump of what appears to be oil dripping from the switch. I drain the air tanks regularly so I do not believe that it is crud in the air line. It appears to be coming out the exhaust port of the switch when the deuce is not in use. Any thoughts as to what is the cause and solution? Thanks---> Les :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks