• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shift transfer case rebuild and related questions

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, I searched the forum and didn't see this, but if i missed something and this is a duplicate, please fell free to delete.....

Who has rebuilt or had some someone rebuild the airshift transfer case?

Approximate cost? (parts/labor).

I assume the usual suspects have rebuild kits (e.g. Memphis, Sarafan, Saturn, etc.)?

How do you guys swap them? I know the trick with the comealong and the 2 x 4 for the tranmission, but that won't work for the transfer case will it?

When converting from sprag to airshift, where does the air source for the underdash switch get tee'd in?

Thanks in advance and thank ya'll for your APO shipping answers.

Clinto

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto:

Who has rebuilt...
I did, once. Wouldn't do it again if I can get good, low mileage take outs for less than 300.-

Approximate cost?
Don't know about cost, depends if only bearings or something else. Labor: How about a long, rainy weekend?

I assume ...
Yes, probably.

How do you...
Same method, better 4x4, TC is heavy!

...where does the air source for the underdash switch get tee'd in?
See pix

Thanks Hope it helps.

Gerhard

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Gerhard.

Anyone else have any input?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tend to just swap them out. I do have a sprag case in the wrecker that when it comes out I'll be opening it up to see whats going on in there. I have another air shift that is very rusty externally and the hi/low shoft rail is frozen. I'm going to see how long it takes me and how far I have to go to change it to an air shift.

MATT

I work with guys who have rebulit many, IF they can it should be allright. I will be doing 2 his winter when things get slower at work. Teeing in to the air is easy I have converted one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks