• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shift transfer leaking

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

My transfer is leaking where the air engagement cylinder is. I have a new engagement kit, but getting the 5/8ths inch nut off seems to be a problem. Do I need to drop the transfer to get at it?

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
O boy... I just had to remove the air engagement cylinder. Be prepared to cuss! I was able to do it without pulling the transfer.(just noticed gimpy's comment.. Should be able to do it without pulling transfer)

May have to remove the short driveshaft between the airshift and tranny for clearance, the tranny was out when I did it. Also, there was a clamp for an airline that had to be taken out of the way.

Okay,(from memory) there are 4, 1/4-20 thread longer bolts. Since I was taking it off for parts, I just cut the two that are harder to get to. That gets your end off. Then to get the sleeve off you have to remove the 5.8 nut. At some point I think I had to push the engagement rod in to remove the sleeve or piston.

To get the 5/8 nut off, a wench won't fit, and the space is too small for a ratchet. If you have a set of sockets with a hex head on them, that would work. I had to grind flats on the side of the socket so I could turn it with a wrench. The rod won't turn so you can get the nut off. Socket and wrench were 11/16, 3/8 drive.

Have fun!

Dennis

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks