• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shocks for small lift ?

tequilaiam

So after checking out a very nice looking M1009 sporting 33x12.5 tires and reading this site, I think I need to ensure a bit more clearance and firm up my sagging leaf springs.

I suppose the "pure" option is to buy a 2" spring lift pack for the front but part of me doesn't want the stiffness that will come with that.

What about using those load-leveling air bags to get a modest amount of lift to fit the larger tires? I'm thinking the air bags would raise everything without making the ride harsh. Cost would be about the same as a lift kit I think. There's probably some options to replace the stock shocks with something nitrogen pressurized too.

Is this a legitamate way to add just a bit of ride height for the slightly larger tires? I'm new to the whole full-size truck thing and don't want to get too far from factory. The smallest lift kit I've spotted is 4" as well - more than I really care about.

SGT Estum

Just put on a set of 33x12.5R15's and be done. I'm running BF Goodrich All Terrain/TA's in that size on my M1009 and there are no clearance issues.

Also there are a lot of threads out there on lift. I recall one where a guy used a 2" lift kit from Rough Country, so there is such a thing as less than 4" if you decide to go the lift route.

The tires are the expensive piece of the puzzle and you need them either way so if it were me I'd slap the tires on first then decide if you still want a lift kit.